Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just struck me: Why in the world would a dragster owner ever run zoomies? I mean, if there's to be any kind of exhaust system, why not improve performance?

·
Registered
14,355 Posts
Just struck me: Why in the world would a dragster owner ever run zoomies? I mean, if there's to be any kind of exhaust system, why not improve performance?
I think I see where you are coming from as,

Unless you are talking a blown app I see no reason to.

IMHO on a blown app with 50+ pounds of boost all you need to do is provide a direct exit for the exhaust, each cylinder has an equal and direct path, one hole out does not affect the others pressure-wise, light and easy to service, perty flames at night :)

99% of fuel and alky teams can't be wrong....Or are collector headers the next trick lick coming in 2020?

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Teams spending millions of dollars on parts and R&D for fuel cars are not using zoomies for ease of fabricating. It's more a pressure issue I believe cause what goes in must come out and if you have cylinders firing and all trying to go out one hole then theres gonna be one helluva traffic jam and BOOM. That's on fuel cars at 80psi boost and 90% nitro. A comp car or anything n/a the zoomies arent really necessary

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Don’t know, but if it happens to be a bracket car, what’s it really matter?
Maybe if your a blown bracket car you want to chase as many people as possible, as some people don't do being chased as well. Or, if you want to chase dragsters in a blown door car. Seems those would matter. Zoomies add power to blown cars, all about getting the exhaust out.

·
Registered
448 Posts
quick and easy back in the day
Little history on zoomies, guys used to run what they called “weed burners”. A semi straight downward facing pipe. Someone turned them upwards and made some pretty good passes because of the down force.

Fast forward to big money win at costs top alcohol effort of Jack O’Bannon/Norm Grimes/Rick Santos deal they tried every exhaust imaginable on that car. Guess what they ended up with? Zoomies. The nitrous guys have been back and forth recently with some still preferring a collector over the zoomies. They claim the zoomies kill a little low end power and add a little to the top.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry. I should have made it clear that I don't want to collect the 8 individual exhaust pipes. Those who've been in dyno rooms know about reverse flow. In other words, ambient air does, for a very short portion of the Otto Cycle time, flow back into the exhaust pipe. By reducing the energy loss involved, engine torque can be increased. I'm becoming increasingly sorry that I started this. This is of interest to very few people. Sorry, I'll go away.

·
Registered
14,355 Posts
Actually it was very interesting, and I doubt there were many here responding who are not aware of reversion in the intake or exhaust tracts of a racing engine.

If you did not mean headers with a collector what change did you envision to individual pipe (zoomie type) headers to improve performance.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
well Tonto I really don't know what your asking?? Blown Fuel and blown alky have little to 0 reversion with the with camming set up they run for optimum blown performance. And un-blown fuelers run zoomies because the egt's coming out of 1-hole would Chernobyl a collector..

·
23,352 Posts
If the motors blown I could see it.
They aren't used in Pro Stock so that's telling as far as being equal. They sure sound cool.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
well Tonto I really don't know what your asking?? Blown Fuel and blown alky have little to 0 reversion with the with camming set up they run for optimum blown performance. And un-blown fuelers run zoomies because the egt's coming out of 1-hole would Chernobyl a collector..
This brings up a few questions !

When the Nitro burners run , they have 6' high Flames - Unburned Nitro?

How much is Unburned?
Is it All Burned up in the Flames? Like a After Burner ? , they say 10-12 Gallons Nitro used per run
If a Hole goes Out is there a Film of Nitro on the Track?
Exhaust FLAMES, Does this increase Downforce? A Benefit of too Rich ? After Burner style?

Excuse my Ignorance ! ;)

·
Registered
17,462 Posts
Mr. Shope is a very bright man. A lot of people (including me) might learn something by listening to what he has to say about performance. I doubt many people on here know of/about his Detroit lineage. When he talks, I try to put on my thinking cap and listen.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This brings up a few questions !

When the Nitro burners run , they have 6' high Flames - Unburned Nitro?

How much is Unburned?
Is it All Burned up in the Flames? Like a After Burner ? , they say 10-12 Gallons Nitro used per run
If a Hole goes Out is there a Film of Nitro on the Track?
Exhaust FLAMES, Does this increase Downforce? A Benefit of too Rich ? After Burner style?

Excuse my Ignorance ! ;)
Fuel funny cars were experimenting with laying back headers and were picking up ET and mph. NHRA made a rule for the maximum angle that you can lay the headers back. Top Alcohol funny cars often have a few different sets of lay back headers to fine tune he car to the track. Every driver I’ve spoke to says the laid back headers are a bear to drive and the car is much better behaved with upright headers on it.

Some food for thought, if you place an oxygen sensor too close to the end of the exhaust pipe it will read lean due to the on rush of ambient air as the exhaust pulses in and out. There is some good information out there on pressure tuning intake tracts. Sounds like you guys need to read up on two smokers and expansion chambers.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Don’t know, but if it happens to be a bracket car, what’s it really matter?

Exactly my thought when I built my altered. I know I may be giving up a little bit in performance, but to me, an altered needed zoomies. The car wasn't going to look right in my mind, unless it had zoomies. I only bracket race anyways, so as long as the car is consistant, and it is, I'm happy.

They were cheap to build, cheap to powder coat, take up almost zero space when the car is apart...........AND THEY SOUND FUKKIN GREAT!!!!!!!! :-D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts