Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 710" bbc with two foggers, 42/32 in first and 34/22 in second. 30* base timing pulling 14* on first and 9* on second. Still no timing mark, heads are Brodix big duke 16*. Compression is 14:1. I figured being that these are 16* heads that they wouldn't like a lot of timing. I dropped retard to 12 on first and 8 on second. Still no mark on strap. I don't run o2's but I do run egt's. After adding second kit egt's are around 1500-1600 degrees. They use to stay around 1200-1300 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
12,145 Posts
I love the statement my head has "X" valve angle so I thought it would be timing sensitive. Guys, it's NOT just about valve angle anymore !!

You basically added 3 degrees of timing what did the ET and MPH do from previous runs. Not saying in your case, but I have guys tell me all the time they have no timing mark then I see there plugs and :smt119.

As far as the EGT's. It's not uncommon as well for them to go higher the more nitrous and the less timing you run. SJ

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
What was the change in the time slip??? thats the answer to your question .
I would not worry about "where" the timing mark "IS".

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
7* total timing does not seem like a lot of timing, but as the "pros" have told us over & over, "give her what she wants (needs)". Your own analysis seems to indicate she might want more timing (heat). What was the DA & GOW at the time of these runs? Fuel & plugs being used? Cylinder head design & specs? Camshaft specs? Good luck.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I love the statement my head has "X" valve angle so I thought it would be timing sensitive. Guys, it's NOT just about valve angle anymore !!

You basically added 3 degrees of timing what did the ET and MPH do from previous runs. Not saying in your case, but I have guys tell me all the time they have no timing mark then I see there plugs and :smt119.

As far as the EGT's. It's not uncommon as well for them to go higher the more nitrous and the less timing you run. SJ
could also see higher EGT's if the fuel is being burned in the header pipe and not the chamber?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I took the egt's off my car this year.Only good to tell you if there is a change.Numbers mean nothing.JMO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-10 ngk plug, brodix sweet 16 head, 2.400, 1.86 valves, added 1 degree of timing and picked up 8 mph but et was the same. had tire spin at the launch though..25 sec into the run driveshaft speed was 2200 rpm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts