Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why can't you stick weld a molly or mild steel cage? not sayin' i want/plan to, just wundrin'

·
Registered
876 Posts
just my guess, but it probably keeps the quality up. Everybody and their brother has arc welded before so more people would try home built chassis and cages instead of taking it to a chassis shop.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,521 Posts
BECAUSE IT WILL LOOK LIKE....TERA DACTYL SHIT!

·
Ronald Reagans Ultra Ego.
7,452 Posts
Welds are to dirty and shitty.

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Asked this same question once (I only stick weld) and was told it was due to less heat transfer from Tig and Mig.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I work in a nuke plant where pipe is stick welded every day. Passes X ray and is as pretty as any tig weld i've seen.

·
Registered
20,155 Posts
i guess its the pureness of the weld, minus slag, and the cooling effect of the gas-but years ago an old welder said his stick weld were stronger than migs, and he could lay down a beautiful bead-but the mig is prob better for restarting a bead whaer you had to stop
anyway, he cut open some pipes he did, then some mig welded ones, he was right, better penetration
ok, another question, mig wire w/o gas, flux wire-never saw that addressed, wouldnt that be the same as stick?
im talking about mild steel now, not moly
i have seen some mig welded cages that looked like a newbe stick welded, and they certed, lol

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Because most people do not know how to properly stick weld pipe and there would be alot of unsafe cages out there kinda just like there is now...

·
Registered
119 Posts
my 70 year old father is a perfect examplet of welding chassis and cages with stick and its safe and beautiful, but those people are far and few between.

·
Registered
226 Posts
stick welding is a far stronger process than mig weld,i tig everything i do with my cars but a properly welded stick cage would be just as strong.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It actually takes some skill to stick and tig weld!
I with you on that. Good thing I mig everything. lol Actually I have all three in the shop. The hardest thing I find is adjusting travel speeds from one to the next.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts