Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not bashing anyone. I have very little fast street car knowledge. I build mostly bracket and top sportsman type cars......mainly ET dial in racing stuff. I also follow NHRA's Comp Eliminator class, which in alot of ways seems similiar to the 10.5 and drag radial stuff I read about on YB.

Why does nearly every one of these high hp, small tired cars, I see on YB use such an old, muscle car type, body, instead of something newer and more aerodynamic? I'm not sure what the wheelbase of a Mustang is, but I'm guessing it's not alot different than a Comp style Super Mod Cobalt, which could prove to have gains.

Just curious because it seems like 90% are Mustangs and a few G bodies and such. At first I assumed it was due to an inexpensive body, but then I read about all the money alot of these racers put into these cars and it got me thinking. Thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, I did not realize it was stock suspension..........makes all the sense in the world now, thanks. The comp cars I was refering to are RWD conversions.

I guess I'm kinda confused because I thought you could at least run ladder bars........not sure about anything else.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
The basis of many of the original street car type classes revolves around stock suspension. Even if they do allow ladder bars with a weight adder, there are usually specific rules requiring stock rear frame rails (notching being allowed most of the time).

Even Outlaw 10.5 requires stock front frame rails with full tube back halves (also stock firewall location). But given the size of many of the 10.5 engines, you would be hard pressed to shoe horn one between the stock shock towers of a FWD conversion.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
going along with this. some of the imports like older mazdas ect i saw at the shakedown today could be used i would think. had a real pointy nose and small and light. would allow you to put the weight were ever you wanted. but like 85" wheelbase lol

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Also kinda hard to have bolt on front suspension parts on a FWD
They don't say they have to be commercially available in the rules for alot of classes like they used to.We have fewer and fewer Bodies to choose from that come from the factory with RWD.So most guy's are gonna go with a Mustang or G-Body since the suspension can be manipulated to work well in a Drag application.Then everybody complains everybody builds the same cars.I like seeing cars like Paul Majors.Although he really hasn't had very good luck.I really like some of the import styling but NMCA and a couple other organizations don't allow import bodies.The Mercedes that Coast Chassis built is one that I REALLY like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts