Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to understanding how the stock market works. In these graphs, why has the market gone from a steady ascend to a wavy looking mess that has bigger rises and falls? First graph is s&p and the second is the dow.

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,464 Posts
Alan Greenspan circa 2000......

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
a small group of rich assholes enjoy playing monopoly.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With so much data why is the market such a gamble? It appears you could use statistics to make a lot of money if you do it over a period of time. Please excuse my ignorance, I have never given the market much thought.

·
Registered
19,286 Posts
Printing money and feeding it into the market (stock ) to artificially inflate the economy has a way of doing that.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The U.S. Mortgage crisis.
China.
Oil.
Gold.
Currency.
Commodities.
War on Terror.
Communications- anyone has whatever information and instant means to buy and sell.
Before you used to be an investor.
Now most are gamblers.
I am not sure if the market will ever be the same again.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Between 1995 and 2000, the e-commerce companies brought stock trading to the masses. An increased number of players took volatility to new records. I remember when I was beginning my 401k back in the 80's........ seemed like a 30-40 point gain in the market was meteoric. Today, that's mediocre. 80-150 point swings are pretty much "the norm" with so many people on the playing board, and computer-driven trading. You ask why the market is such a gamble? Well, you're buying stock with the anticipation that is going to go up. The problem is, you're buying the shares of someone who sold because he's just as convinced that its going down.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Between 1995 and 2000, the e-commerce companies brought stock trading to the masses. An increased number of players took volatility to new records. I remember when I was beginning my 401k back in the 80's........ seemed like a 30-40 point gain in the market was meteoric. Today, that's mediocre. 80-150 point swings are pretty much "the norm" with so many people on the playing board, and computer-driven trading. You ask why the market is such a gamble? Well, you're buying stock with the anticipation that is going to go up. The problem is, you're buying the shares of someone who sold because he's just as convinced that its going down.
Good explanation!!!

·
Registered
20,012 Posts
Don't think those rich assholes as you refer to them as enjoy losing their money.
If you're in that club you make money when the market goes up and you make money when the market goes down.

The rest of us just get to sit around and wonder what the fuck happened.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts