Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
23,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Verge, a research team working out of the University of Rochester Medical Centre have finally found out the exact reason sleep is so crucial to a healthy lifestyle.

It’s called the glymphatic system, and it acts like a self cleansing mechanism while the body is on shutdown.

Much like how the lymphatic system (named after lymphnotes) rids the body of toxins and waste, the glymphatic system cleanses the brain material of toxins harboring in the gray matter.

Gray matter is what most people think of when their eyes are closed and they’re asked to picture a brain. During sleep, cerebrospinal fluid flows through the passages of the brain that open up while the glymphatic system is operating.

Much like a car wash that uses powerful water hoses to clean the waste off of the vehicles that passes through it, the glymphatic system uses cerebrospinal fluid to clear the waste that has built up in the brain.

While the body is temporarily out of commission overnight, the passages become wider so the glymphatic system can clear more toxins than during the day.
So now you know, the rest of the story.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/21/scientists-discover-why-sleep-is-so-important

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Why am I stupidly tired after an 8 hour sleep?
I cannot work for the whole day after a full 8 hour sleep, I feel really exhausted (and rested). 6 hours is the magic numbers for me to be honest. It sucks trying to get up after only 6 hours but when I get to work, I am most productive in my opinion.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Just heard about that yesterday. No one thing guarantees you a long and healthy life, BUT don't get enough sleep, and you'll pay for it in a multitude of ways.. I've been a firm believer in getting a proper amount of sleep most of my life. I try to get at least 7 hours a night, and feel great for it, although some feel great with 6, but lots of people seem to think they can get by with 3-4 hours. Today many people walk around with their batteries half charged, so to speak, and that is a fast track to bad health, and a shorter life.

·
Throttle's Performance
1,867 Posts
Just heard about that yesterday. No one thing guarantees you a long and healthy life, BUT don't get enough sleep, and you'll pay for it in a multitude of ways.. I've been a firm believer in getting a proper amount of sleep most of my life. I try to get at least 7 hours a night, and feel great for it, although some feel great with 6, but lots of people seem to think they can get by with 3-4 hours. Today many people walk around with their batteries half charged, so to speak, and that is a fast track to bad health, and a shorter life.

Just don't get your rest while your lookin' at the tree:rolleyes:

·
Banned
23,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cannot work for the whole day after a full 8 hour sleep, I feel really exhausted (and rested). 6 hours is the magic numbers for me to be honest. It sucks trying to get up after only 6 hours but when I get to work, I am most productive in my opinion.
Could be wrong, but I'm assuming that the 8 hours is just a suggested amount. Everyone will be different, so it just might mean you have to find your "happy" spot. IIRC, it has been proven that short "cat naps" during the day can be beneficial as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
you make a very good point. A long time ago when I was studying Anat. and phys. in college, there was a 20 year study done about the optimal amount of sleep for people to be rested and healthy. That magic number was 6 hours of sleep, and never more than 8. More than 8 hours a day can lead to early heart failure and other issues because the vital organs are not working hard enough for long enough. The article also talked about the optimal sleeping temperature, and that number is 64 degrees. I will try to find the study.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have to agree to disagree. Not everyone needs 8 hrs. For some its to much they feel horrible the next day. For me, no way can I sleep for 8 hrs. My brain won't let me. It constantly runs never stop. So I have to take something to fall asleep.

·
Badrooster
19,597 Posts
It's all in what your brain needs. Some patterns ARE unhealthy, tho. If you're draggin' after 8 hrs., cut it down to 7.

Scott

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,907 Posts
7-7.5 a day seems to work good for me.
Then 10 hours Sat. and Sunday morning to payback any sleep deficits from the week.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Could be wrong, but I'm assuming that the 8 hours is just a suggested amount. Everyone will be different, so it just might mean you have to find your "happy" spot. IIRC, it has been proven that short "cat naps" during the day can be beneficial as well.
Yes ofcourse, everbody is so different it can differ a lot. Short naps does not work for me. Then I'll be very sleepy the rest of the day. For others that can really do the trick.

you make a very good point. A long time ago when I was studying Anat. and phys. in college, there was a 20 year study done about the optimal amount of sleep for people to be rested and healthy. That magic number was 6 hours of sleep, and never more than 8. More than 8 hours a day can lead to early heart failure and other issues because the vital organs are not working hard enough for long enough. The article also talked about the optimal sleeping temperature, and that number is 64 degrees. I will try to find the study.
Interesting point. Never heard that actually and doesn't sound too far off.
6 hours is ofcourse what works for me, 6-7 hours. More than 7 then I'm very off the whole day. But it's not always easy getting out of bed I must say...

·
Registered
252 Posts
I wish I could get a regular schedule. I've been doing shift work for most of my working life in the military. My schedule now is 1 month of days with 8 hour shifts, 1 month of days with 12 hour shifts and 1 month of nights with 12 hour shifts. Rinse and repeat. Some times there are stretches where I'll get 8 hours total sleep over 3 days.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I wish I could get a regular schedule. I've been doing shift work for most of my working life in the military. My schedule now is 1 month of days with 8 hour shifts, 1 month of days with 12 hour shifts and 1 month of nights with 12 hour shifts. Rinse and repeat. Some times there are stretches where I'll get 8 hours total sleep over 3 days.
X2. Military has fukked my world on time, sleep and whatever else. 4-6hrs for me. Anything over 8 and you're going to hate me.

·
having fun
31,403 Posts
6-7 feels like my magic number-and when I have that day I can finally sleep late that's when I make up for all of it,sleep way the fuck in and I feel like a new man!

im too old to be doing what I used to do--getting 2 hrs of sleep then 14 hrs work

·
In the Beams.
21,997 Posts
I'm with Eddie on this one ,
Sleep , exercise and diet .Dr's cant preach it enough .
I even quit drinking ( for the most part )

A powernap can do wonders .

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Same here.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
7.5 - 8 hrs here....like clockwork :p. after I hit the pillow I'm out within 10 min tops !!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts