Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys i have a th400 with a 4x4 oil pan on it ......the trans only has 6 runs on it ...... i noticed that when the car is running it does not leak but when its in my trailer for a couple days it leaks.... it looks like it is coming from the dipstick hole on the trans ..... the oring is new and in perfect condition. the strange thing is when i check the dipstick it always reads low as if i have the wrong one ......a had the trans pan off and it is in the proper place in side the trans. :confused:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
could it be over filled

·
Super Moderator
19,589 Posts
Is it running down from the top of the trans after leaking out of the vent? The oil always leaks off the front of the pan as that is a low point.

Hutch

·
Registered
55 Posts
400 transmissions are sensitive to the fluid level.
When checking the fluid level when the fluid is cold and the engine idling in park, the fluid level should be right at the add mark or slightly below. After the transmission is warm the fluid should not be above the full mark at all. I would replace the dipstick tube from an o-ring style to the boot/bushing style seal.

·
Registered
580 Posts
hello guys i have a th400 with a 4x4 oil pan on it ......the trans only has 6 runs on it ...... i noticed that when the car is running it does not leak but when its in my trailer for a couple days it leaks.... it looks like it is coming from the dipstick hole on the trans ..... the oring is new and in perfect condition. the strange thing is when i check the dipstick it always reads low as if i have the wrong one ......a had the trans pan off and it is in the proper place in side the trans. :confused:
I would use a boot type seal to reduce the possibility of it leaking.when the car is shut off the fluid level rises especially if the convertor drains back.which could cause a dipstick seal to leak.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The dipstick tube could be out of round and never seal.
AG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts