Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than weight, why is lexan banned in some races? I mean I see where there is a min weight, and some races have no min weight, yet they will not allow lexan other than a truck rear for cage. As long as you weigh the weight, who gives a shit about lexan windows? Just curious.

Stepping of box

Thanks

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
The fans do. Lexan doesnt look like glass. So in a class that is supposed to have its roots in street cars, you often see lexan banded, requiring you to keep your orginal glass. Purely cosmetics, as far as i know.

·
Senior Frog
10,350 Posts
Other than weight, why is lexan banned in some races? I mean I see where there is a min weight, and some races have no min weight, yet they will not allow lexan other than a truck rear for cage. As long as you weigh the weight, who gives a shit about lexan windows? Just curious.

Stepping of box

Thanks

some promoters are stupid fucks thats why.......lexan is safer - ask the fuck stick if he ever crashed his shit !?
Making the weight is all that counts

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
some promoters are stupid fucks thats why.......lexan is safer - ask the fuck stick if he ever crashed his shit !?
LOL.

I also don't understand why its a issue. Speedglass makes some nice stuff. Its hard to tell the difference without looking up close.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
The fans do. Lexan doesnt look like glass. So in a class that is supposed to have its roots in street cars, you often see lexan banded, requiring you to keep your orginal glass. Purely cosmetics, as far as i know.
the MR 10 looks just like glass and lasts a long time, if you walked by a car,with all the moldings on it you wouldn't be able to tell it's not glass. so thats not it.
i,ll have to go with excelerator on this one

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
if it's real "lexan"...but if it's some cheap plastic it can make for some pretty nice speer points.
can you tell at a glance the differance by just looking at it ?
you know some guy's like to cut corrners, and this solves that problem.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
I have a SpeedGlass windhshield that looks just like factory glass, I think what some people don't understand is not everyone takes the time to install it correctly and when done incorrectly it looks like ass.

·
Registered
738 Posts
So how does the promoter know what type of lexan is going to be used? Once you say it is OK you will see all kinds of crap.

Is he supposed assume that everyone will use the good stuff that everyone above is suggesting?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
it's just another way to stop racers from racing... make the weight and race. if the your stock looking with all the glass car runs 8:50 and the other tube chassis lexan windowed car runs 8:50, shut the fuck up and race!!!!

·
Registered
21,609 Posts
Does Speedglas to custom windscreens or only duplicates of factory glass? Not sure how one would do a custom? I guess car would have to be taken to them for measurement?

·
Registered
136 Posts
the way i see it is if a car rolls and its all glass how long dose it take to clean all that shit up lexan if done correctly looks like glass

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
I think lexan should be required for class racers. I have been part of the cleanup crew picking up little pieces of glass that the sweeper couldn't.
one example is that of Todd Goodwin's crash at MMP and we literally had to walk the track for almost 2 hours hand picking up little tiny pieces of tempered glass. The sweeper would just move it around, couldn't suck it up.
Had he been allowed to run lexan, it would have been done in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
I never really understood banning the lexan or certain fiberglass panels over others when it comes to class restrictions. I mean, there are minimum weights and I believe you are limited to 250lbs max ballast per SFI specs. Its not like the class would end up with 2300lb tube chassis cars with 1000lbs of ballast. Seems like all it does is limit the number of entries.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
it's just another way to stop racers from racing... make the weight and race. if the your stock looking with all the glass car runs 8:50 and the other tube chassis lexan windowed car runs 8:50, shut the fuck up and race!!!!
Yeah, those promoters are always thinking of ways to stop racers from racing...:confused:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Perhaps its a safety issue. Some lexan will not break that easy and ive seen firefighters taking an axe to lexan and it not breaking. So lets say you are upside down and on fire and the only way out is through the windshield. A glass windshield wouldve already broken allowing you a way out where lexan will just take time to cut through to get you out.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I never really understood banning the lexan or certain fiberglass panels over others when it comes to class restrictions. I mean, there are minimum weights and I believe you are limited to 250lbs max ballast per SFI specs. Its not like the class would end up with 2300lb tube chassis cars with 1000lbs of ballast. Seems like all it does is limit the number of entries.
there are some car with a lot of illegal ballast ,its just something else that never gets checked at tech, at alot of these races........

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nick, if the firefighter couldn't get through lexan with an axe, he needs to either put a better swing at it, or sharpen that axe. :)

Lexan is some bad shit. Plexiglass may break easy but lexan wont, read this

"lexan/polycarbonate is being use on some of the newer cars. As a retired fire fighter and an instructor that teaches vehicle rescue and new technology for vehicle rescue. There is part of the course that deals with this type of windows. some of your high end sports cars and Ford have been using this stuff in there cars and trucks. This stuff is strong and there are two ways to deal with it. 1st is taking a Rotozip and cutting it and the second way is freezing it with a CO2 fire extinguisher and hitting with something hard. As far as I know they are not using for windshield yet but there is talk about.

I have encounter this stuff. One night we responded to the truck fire on the interstate. The truck happen to be a car carrier with some high end sports car on it. The fire was in the cab area of the truck and the car above the cab. I set a ladder to the car and went up with an axe to break the side window. I hit it three times as hard as I could and all that happen was the axe bounced off the window and never broke it. finally had to get a CO2 extinguisher to break it.

Ford has been using it in the side windows and hatch window of some of there small car and the rear and side cargo door windows in there vans.

Some of the car that been using it. Lexus, Porche, BMW, Marcedes, Ferrari, and some other."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts