Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious why most of the classes in NMRA are seemingly drying up. I've heard lots of reasons but I'd like to get a poll that is somewhat scientific here. If you've run at least one race with the NMRA in a HEADS UP class, please vote, post and if you can include your name and class. I don't work for ProMedia, I just want to know what the future holds for the organization. Your thoughts?

·
ALL OUT
1,931 Posts
Just added 3 west coast races for next year... wheres the drought? 5 posts and then this lame ass one, sounds like someone with an axe to grind....

And yes i run both series because they are fun and Ive enjoyed their races for years, they are well run for the most part besides usual personal class complaining and are a legit run business/race/corp. T/S 513 >> Kris

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
I would like to race with them when they come to the west coast, Arizona preferably.
I haven't because they seem to think everyone can just tow there race car 2000+ miles for them......

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I was treated like a piece of trash when I showed up to race a bracket class at one of there events, never been back because of it. I race heads up now even run a monthly series(that has the same class as NMRA) where the NMRA shows up to race but I wouldnt give them the time of day since they didnt me. But you didnt want to hear about bracket classes but its funny how it has a trickle down effect.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just added 3 west coast races for next year... wheres the drought? 5 posts and then this lame ass one, sounds like someone with an axe to grind....

And yes i run both series because they are fun and Ive enjoyed their races for years, they are well run for the most part besides usual personal class complaining and are a legit run business/race/corp. T/S 513 >> Kris
An axe to grind? No, I stated I was looking for reasons why people aren't, besides the obvious IMSHOT, LOL. This information is sponsor related for those who are wondering. That was the reason a poll was to be posted.

The drought? Are you serious? SSO which once boasted over 25 cars at BG now barely has 8-9, the other classes such as Pure Street and Real Street that had 15-17 car fields now struggle to reach 4! This doesn't even take into account companies that aren't actively using the NMRA as they once were.

What does post count have to do with anything? I love how people think your post count is some magic number that means you have more right to an opinion or whatever. I guess if Glidden came in here and started talking nitrous motors people would trash him because his post count is low? :confused: Some people have other things to do besides sitting on the computer. But since you asked I've watched this site for over a year and wasn't able to sign up due to registration being locked down.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
An axe to grind? No, I stated I was looking for reasons why people aren't, besides the obvious IMSHOT, LOL. This information is sponsor related for those who are wondering. That was the reason a poll was to be posted.

The drought? Are you serious? SSO which once boasted over 25 cars at BG now barely has 8-9, the other classes such as Pure Street and Real Street that had 15-17 car fields now struggle to reach 4! This doesn't even take into account companies that aren't actively using the NMRA as they once were.

What does post count have to do with anything? I love how people think your post count is some magic number that means you have more right to an opinion or whatever. I guess if Glidden came in here and started talking nitrous motors people would trash him because his post count is low? :confused: Some people have other things to do besides sitting on the computer. But since you asked I've watched this site for over a year and wasn't able to sign up due to registration being locked down.
bad example lol... just messing with you http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/memberlist.php?do=getall

·
Registered
4,426 Posts

bad example lol, billy has like 5500 posts... just messing with you.my buddy runs sso and has for bout 4 yrs or so, i can tell you from his vantage point that the costs are outta control. car costs, traveling, maintanence, etc etc.im sure its all relative to what class you race that the costs get outta control quickly as expenses go up

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Pay outs suck
Time away from work and home
contingency is not what it once was and the some of ones they have don't pay

Things the rules say you can't use are being allowed. like $9000 proflight trans that takes 9 months to get. How is that readlly avalible???

Cost to get driver and 2-3 guys in requires a couple ATM vists.

Other than that it is a great place lots of good times over the years

Tim

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Too much rule changing to try and "level" the playing field. It is a sanction that annually (First of year) changes rules and penalizes the winners (but not consistently) and rewards the losers. And then, it is expected to review the rules again after three (3) races. So, if you do your homework over the off season and run good, you may / will be penalized and a championship season could be over. But then, since it is now expected, if they do not, then the other racers boycott and do not show up and class counts go down. It is hard to get a sponsor excited about a class with few participants. It is a very tough deal. Great format, but heads up racing is a challenge for both the sanctioning body and the racer(s).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
IMO nmra and nmca should just combine, may help car count? I prefer nmca and have raced nmca open comp, and planning on running nmca xs eventully. As a spectator to me it gets boring seeing about 200 mustangs, maybe 10 fairlanes, 10 galaxies and 10 falcons at a nmra event. Where nmca you get the the chevy vs ford vs mopar with guys cross breading engines in anything, just my .02

·
Registered
845 Posts
When the classes had 20+ cars the cost of fuel alone was less than $2/gallon. Now the cost of fuel averages $4/gallon.

If you want racers to come, give them something to race for. The NMRA is a great place to race and a incredible idea but theres no money for the racers. The events and sponsors have alot of overhead to support. Promedia has a nice office in California, Air Fare and hotels along with payroll for the staff. Race pages magazine is free with your subscription but we all know printing them isnt. Generally speaking if you give something away people dont see value in it.

Increase the payouts and your car counts will increase at events local to racers. Draw in more locals with less stringent rules. Decrease your overhead, for starters, locate your office centrally in Kentucky. This will drastically decrease rent for starters. Im sure the cost of living in California is signifigant compared to anywhere in Kentucky. 7 of the 9 races would then be within a 10 hour drive or less.

I dont go to the races because of time off from work. My priorities in life have always been work first, race second. I was very fortunate in the passed years to have the ability to take off more than 200 hours of work to make the races. The last two years have been more demanding of my time. As well as the economy, people dont want to take off time from work to make sure they go the extra mile to keep their job. No matter how much time off they have earned, if a problem arises at their place of employment that is normally their responsabilty to handle and they arent there to handle it, it doesnt look good to their supervisors. People fear this in this type of economy.

Bottom line, Promedia needs to make a certain amount of money in order for the company to survive to provide a place to race. They will need to add a good amount of index classes and other entry level classes for local people to race. If the NMRA wants alot of heads up cars to come crank up the payouts.

I cant truely speak for the Overhead of Promedia and all of my statements are based on assumptions. But, logistically speaking, its not good to run an east coast race format from the west coast. I'd be willing to bet, do some demographics and the majority of the subscribers are on the east coast.

·
Registered
845 Posts
IMO nmra and nmca should just combine, may help car count? I prefer nmca and have raced nmca open comp, and planning on running nmca xs eventully. As a spectator to me it gets boring seeing about 200 mustangs, maybe 10 fairlanes, 10 galaxies and 10 falcons at a nmra event. Where nmca you get the the chevy vs ford vs mopar with guys cross breading engines in anything, just my .02

If you combine the races you cut Promedias revenue in half. If you think Promedia is headed for doom, that would surely kill it.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Things the rules say you can't use are being allowed. like $9000 proflight trans that takes 9 months to get. How is that readlly avalible???

Tim
And guys like this that are "messengers" for other racers getting on message boards and lobbying the sanctioning bodies with fabricated excuses and tales.

I have an excellent TH400 trans that cost $8,000 dollars and takes as long to get as anything else and I cannot get half of that $8,000 out of it. If you buy a proflight you can get just about what you pay for it immediately and they do not take 9 months to get.

Tim, tell Charlie if he is tired of lobbying to get a weight break for his "not readily available" powerglide and getting weight put on the proflight (even though he had one at Milan NMCA) and needs a good proflight to give me a call. I will sell him a new one for under $9K and he could have it for BG.;)

·
Registered
553 Posts
i think if the money was paid at the tracks it might grow i mean contigincy money nmra or nmca should pay it out for all the racers and make all of them pay them back instead of racers waiting for there money i still know some drivers waiting for a year or so or never been paid just would like to see it get worked out and soon because the local scene is paying good and at the track with no long hauls for driver and crew

·
Registered
553 Posts
i think if the money was paid at the tracks it might grow i mean contigincy money nmra or nmca should pay it out for all the racers and make all of them pay them back instead of racers waiting for there money i still know some drivers waiting for a year or so or never been paid just would like to see it get worked out and soon because the local scene is paying good and at the track with no long hauls for driver and crew
them being sponsors

·
Registered
95 Posts
I surely do not have the answers. I know that it takes an insane amount of money to race heads up in the NMRA. Fuel, hotels, entree fees, etc are several thousands of $$$$$$ alone and that doesn't include the car yet. I think we can all debate on why the NMRA has low car counts, but lets be honest. If the economy was booming and diesel was $1.50/gal we would not have this disscussion.

Most serious heads up racers don't have an issue with the time and effort it takes to compete/win. The money/cost is usually what puts an end to the ones that end up quiting the NMRA and/or racing locally.

The NMRA is a business and business's need to make a profit. I know I am not opposed to that. A fellow racer said it best at the Columbus NMRA race when a bunch of us where talking to Charlie Harmon about the NMRA. "Five years ago all of us racers could give a crap if the NMRA makes money or not. Now we all care beacause we want a place to race!!!"

Larger payouts would help, fixing the dumb rules would help, and decrease any cost to the racer if possible.

IMO the NMRA is still the best place for companies to advertise and get there products out in front of "Real" potential customers. They are around for the long hall.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts