Yellow Bullet Forums banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Might (?) be even more effective on a alum. block. I plan to try one on my FE at some point. Did you notice that when it was pulling 19 inches the oil pressure went down and then they limited it to 12 and the HP jumped another 10 or so?

·
Long Live The King
100,198 Posts
Whatever it takes to hit 825 ish.
Ok, I was wondering if you had a peak power Rpm in mind and a shift point in mind?
Also, as stated the alloy block is costing you some power. How much ? Good question.

I’ve read that 540”-632” stuff could be 50hp +\- down compared to an iron block.

Are you going to keep two Domi’s on it ? If so, as stated, you can cam the thing to work best in the harmonic range of your intake tract length, for best results. From the back of the intake valve to the plenum of the TR how manny inches is it ?

Also, with the TR did you run both C-12 and Q-16 ? If so, what was the power gain with Q?

Lastly, your peak goal of 825 is not as important as to how broad the power band is from pk Trq to pk Hp. That’s more important for shift recovery than is your PK number. IMHO

·
Registered
223 Posts
Might (?) be even more effective on a alum. block. I plan to try one on my FE at some point. Did you notice that when it was pulling 19 inches the oil pressure went down and then they limited it to 12 and the HP jumped another 10 or so?
Now the oil pressure in the block is the same just what’s going out of the block is lower. Two different atmospheres. Correct??

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Ok, I was wondering if you had a peak power Rpm in mind and a shift point in mind?
Also, as stated the alloy block is costing you some power. How much ? Good question.

I’ve read that 540”-632” stuff could be 50hp +\- down compared to an iron block.

Are you going to keep two Domi’s on it ? If so, as stated, you can cam the thing to work best in the harmonic range of your intake tract length, for best results. From the back of the intake valve to the plenum of the TR how manny inches is it ?

Also, with the TR did you run both C-12 and Q-16 ? If so, what was the power gain with Q?

Lastly, your peak goal of 825 is not as important as to how broad the power band is from pk Trq to pk Hp. That’s more important for shift recovery than is your PK number. IMHO
I did another 438 where we switched from single 1050 to tunnel ram and dual 1050. That one gained 51 hp. I think on this motor the Glidden sc1 intake flows as good or better than sheetmetal i have. Thats why not much difference.Here is dual dommies on c12

·
Long Live The King
100,198 Posts
It would be instructive if you had a Vac gauge hooked up at the manifold.

From the dyno sheet, Oil is Lucas 20-50. Is that synthetic?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The Dyno guy says its very hard to tell which engine responds to what. Our initial hits with single carb gave us a pretty good number. Then it was creeping up hp at a time. He Dynos pretty much two engines at least a week. The engine right after me (sbc) they found 20hp in lash alone this motor made very little change to lash.The fella who owned engine didn’t meet his hp goal so they pulled off early and he went looking for cam. Just like the twin carbs we gained 2-3 hp at time. Lol its kinda frustrating when you dont see leaps in power. All in all it’s respectable and he said should be happy. It will run for years at that rpm level with nice flat tq curve.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Now the oil pressure in the block is the same just what’s going out of the block is lower. Two different atmospheres. Correct??
No, the vacuum hooked to the valve cover was not letting the oil drain back to the pan and the oil level in the pan was low. That's why they lowered it from 19 to 12, and if they would of worked on the drain back in the heads they might of been able to run more vaccum.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No, the vacuum hooked to the valve cover was not letting the oil drain back to the pan and the oil level in the pan was low. That's why they lowered it from 19 to 12, and if they would of worked on the drain back in the heads they might of been able to run more vaccum.
I get it now. I know the pressure does go down with vacuum but they had an oil issue

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
I would think the reason they picked up 10 more hp with the 12 is that the crankcase was seeing less than 12 while the valve covers were seeing 19.

·
Long Live The King
100,198 Posts
No its not synthetic. Yes dyno operator said same.
A few times with my 565 Ford, we ran Castrol 20-50 then switched to Mobil 1 20-50 ( now 15-50) oil temp at 190* picked up 12 hp 3 times. Highest gain was 15. Several small blocks have picked up 9 -11 hp.

I’d bet with Mobil 1 10-40 it would see 10-14 hp vs that 20-15.

·
Long Live The King
100,198 Posts
The Dyno guy says its very hard to tell which engine responds to what. Our initial hits with single carb gave us a pretty good number. Then it was creeping up hp at a time. He Dynos pretty much two engines at least a week. The engine right after me (sbc) they found 20hp in lash alone this motor made very little change to lash.The fella who owned engine didn’t meet his hp goal so they pulled off early and he went looking for cam. Just like the twin carbs we gained 2-3 hp at time. Lol its kinda frustrating when you dont see leaps in power. All in all it’s respectable and he said should be happy. It will run for years at that rpm level with nice flat tq curve.
Every engine is basically like a woman. Got luck figuring out what it likes.

The Brake Specifics look good, were you reading the A/F ‘s ? If not, how were you guys jetting it ?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
He has o2 on each header and egts on all. We just watch that until it loses power or gets egt to high. He only has one turbine for carb so no measuring flow with twins.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Steve,
Do you have an dyno sheet which have Fuel 1M lbs/hr, Fuel 2M lbs/hr, Air 1s SCFM and BSFC for the same run?

Stan

141 - 157 of 157 Posts