Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Header wrap is supposed to reduce under hood temps, then explain this. I have my headers wrapped with the fiberglass wrap, wrapped correctly, and for the heck of it I got out the laser temp gun. I point the laser at the narrow section of unwrapped header pipe where it comes out of the head flange got roughly 280 degrees on all the pipes. Then I dropped down a couple inches onto the wrapped section and every pipe read 125-175 degrees hotter. What's the deal?

·
Registered
278 Posts
From my understanding, it's suppose to contain the heat within the header. So the surface temperature will be higher, however, radiant heat is reduced.

·
T/S 368E
33,843 Posts

That's weird, because mine is as predicted, wrapped is cooler, much much cooler.
Every where the tubes are wrapped the diaper is fine, where it's not, the diaper melted!!

Reactions: Smokin408

·
Registered
917 Posts
Header wrap is supposed to keep the exh pipes hotter. This keeps the velocity of the exh gases higher for better scavenging...& more hp.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Header wrap is supposed to keep the exh pipes hotter. This keeps the velocity of the exh gases higher for better scavenging...& more hp.
So if I understand you correctly you are saying wrapping the headers can make more power?

·
A Senior Member
3,776 Posts
So if I understand you correctly you are saying wrapping the headers can make more power?
Higher temperature = higher velocity.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Not sure how heat guns have evolved in the last few years, but they used to have a calibration setting called "emissivity". If you point your heat gun on shiny silver surfaces, like the head of a bolt or chrome ceramic header coating, compared to a flat black surface, you will not get accurate readings unless the emissivity is calibrated for that specific surface.

Try testing the surface temp with a surface temp gauge...like from an EGT meter like you use for exhaust temp in your headers might work. Maybe tempil sticks

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Not sure how heat guns have evolved in the last few years, but they used to have a calibration setting called "emissivity". If you point your heat gun on shiny silver surfaces, like the head of a bolt or chrome ceramic header coating, compared to a flat black surface, you will not get accurate readings unless the emissivity is calibrated for that specific surface.

Try testing the surface temp with a surface temp gauge...like from an EGT meter like you use for exhaust temp in your headers might work. Maybe tempil sticks
Better idea to try...paint a small area of your header tube the same color and flatness as your wrap, then retest...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts