Yellow Bullet Forums banner

who's running meth for N/A combo's???

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  inferno camaro 
#1 ·

OK, I'm building 2 engines as I've posted before.
One is my current engine being upgraded and one new.
I wanted to switch to E-85, but the guys making the case for meth are making a lot of sense.
Just got back from the IHRA event, and even a bunch of slow guys were running meth and going rounds.
Yes I understand we are not running dragsters in Super classes.

Who's running it and how much are the horror stories exaggerated, and how much is the huge tuning window, free power exaggerated???

Yes I will have to buy 4 new carbs, but if it helps go rounds, it's worth it.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm converting my stuff to alky injection. Simpler than a carb, solves my cooling problem, we'll see how it does compared to gas on my stuff but will likely pick up some. Consistency should improve slightly as well, I hope. I will be running nitrous but I run a lot of n/a stuff.

Lots of myths out there about it. It's more forgiving than gas. Even if you don't plan to run injection, go to killer rons website as there's lots of good info there. Another reason I'm switching is fuel cost. Even though I'll burn almost twice as much, it's still less than half the price of race gas. And yes, the tuning window is bigger. It difference is that there isn't much difference from being in the tuning window to being finely tuned. Gas is best when it's finely tuned. I studied a lot before I decided to make the change. Benefits far outweighed any disadvantages.

#4 ·
I would def choose alcohol over E-85 for bracket racing. Not really any horror stories if you buy from a reputable builder and set up the fuel system correctly.

If it will make more power is dependent on the engine combo. Bigger engines and/or spreadport engines will actually make a little less power than gas, but will be more consistent and keep engine cooler. When using on a spreadport piece, I've seen some people have to make a cam change to keep it happy.

I ran an alky carb on a 632 with 14.5 degrees heads years ago...was definitely slow than gas, but car was deadly consistent and ran fine.

#6 ·
Thanks, great info. Like I've said before, I know I will NEVER qualify for any of the NHRA or bigger events, so why not take advantages of the positives!!
Qualifying for local stuff should be easy with this engine, and that's all that matters.

#5 ·

DIdn't even consider injection, I will check into that.

I definitely want the bigger tuning window & free cooling.
Yes the price might be in the mix a little, but the tuning window was the main point and getting rid of the leaded fuel now
before some POS liberal bans our racing fuel.
I have 2 buddies that run that $19 a gallon Q stuff and I just can't for the life of me understand why???
WHy in the frick would 2 bracket racers piss away that kind of money for absolutely zero advantages???
You write a number on there and try to hit it, why in the frick spend $19 a gallon???

#8 ·

Don't know who that is?? but I did check out Ron's and it looks like every thing I need is available.
They even have a T/S-T/D kit listed.
I have to find out if they have the threaded center stud on their throttle bodies so I can mount my scoop the same.

#13 ·
FWIW I switched last year & after doing a lot of research & on some very qualified advice bought a Ken Jones carb.

I made 4 runs today within .006

Last year I raced from Bristol in July @4200ft to Huntsville in October @ 800ft & never touched the carb. YUUUUUGE tuning window & none of the problems associated with alky that you read about on the net.

He’s a very knowledgeable & nice guy that you’ll enjoy doing business with.

My 02

#14 ·

Thanks, I really don't want fuel injection, EFI or MFI.
I was thinking about using my tunnel ram, but it's probably smarter using my single dom intake with a new alky carb??
I'm a lazy racer. I own a communications construction company, and I don't get any time during the week.
I just don't want to learn all kinds of new stuff. I want to fill her up, do the routine maintenance and try going rounds!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.