:)

·
Aviation Section
25,363 Posts
If you are playing for real, shit happens! Dave

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not the first time this has happened. Way back in the 80's two USAF F-15's (from my old Squadron, 54th) were ferrying missiles to an alert site. Jet was loaded with a mix of Live and dummy missiles, Crew Chief told the pilot but the pilot 'didn't hear', or see them written up in the 781's (aircraft forms), and didn't notice the different color bands on them indicating live ones. On the way from Anchorage to King Salmon, or Galena (can't remember) the jets were playing around and accidently shot a very live AIM-9 at his wingman. OOPS!

Good thing the F-15 is a tough ole girl, flew home, repaired it to fly again. I'm sure there are better articles out there, as this one has a few technical details out of line. But at least they correctly identified the aircraft type and didn't call it a hot air balloon or something!

We flew to the sites quite a few times, tons of fun when nothing happens. We launched on 9-11 from King Salmon to intercept the Korean airliner that wasn't responding to any radio calls. Damn near shot him down too... That is the when the Russians called on Guard, 'That wasn't us, go get them." Good read if you have some spare time.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1990/03/21/F-15-mistakenly-fires-missile/2507637995600/

·
Registered
37,508 Posts
MiG 31 is a powerhouse...cruises at 1550mph, it can fly 1900mph and has a service ceiling of 82,000 feet. Of course, it's only as good as the person behind the stick....apparently somebody was a little too good.

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
It was me. I had the chance to go up and they didn’t really realize I wasn’t one of them.

Seize the opportunity as they say......was fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts