Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a blacktop plant and the quarry is right next to us. I run the plant for the blacktop and being kinda slow I got my bosses and hire ups to let me try and become a stone/blacktop technician. So does anyone do this kind of work?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i work on a plant in ky. i do alittle of everytrhing. alittle slow but normally i run a plant.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,113 Posts
SURE....WHAT'S YOUR QUESTION?

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
I work at a blacktop plant and the quarry is right next to us. I run the plant for the blacktop and being kinda slow I got my bosses and hire ups to let me try and become a stone/blacktop technician. So does anyone do this kind of work?
you actually want to Lay the asphalt?

Worst job ever, the heat and smell will ruin your day. i hated even inspecting the damn work for 20min much less being over it all damn day

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Hey Ship maybe you can bring alittle to my house ,say in a 5 gal. bucket over time to do my driveway whata ya think ?

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wondering if anybody was certified for asphalt or stones?

No I don't lay it I can make it. Well I run the plant that makes it....

·
Registered
581 Posts
THIS IS THE ONLY CERTIFICATION THAT I KNOW OF....QC!

MAYBE THE OP WILL ELABORATE
That is the only thing I could think of to. I haven't worked at an asphalt plant in about 11 years so I am not much help. I work at a sand and gravel surface mine with a dredge. I have done alot of quality control work but I am almost positive that each state has there own requirements and not all are the same. We deal with asphalt plants, redi-mix, block and decorative paver plants but only are involved in the sand end not the finished product.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Things must be REALLY slow if you have that much free time at this time of the season. When I was working at Kokosing the guys running the KMI asphalt plants worked (and I truly mean WORKED) 12-16 hour days all spring, summer, & into the fall.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I was a Level 1 & 2 Certified Tech by ALDOT. But its been about 8 years. I was working a 3rd shift interstate pave and a drunk guy hit my truck while I was standing behind it. My generator(core cutter) didn't crank on the first pull like usual so I bent back over to make sure I had the switch on. If It would of have cranked I woulda been walking along side the truck never seen the car and it woulda run over me. I quit the next day. It was a gravy job and pretty fun at times. Making some of the new mixes by hand would wear your ass out though.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I was talking about QC. I know each state has there own little laws or rules on blacktop and stone. I was wondering if anyone can give me some things to be able to pick up on it easier to pass test or what ways was it fastest for you to learn? I'm only in the lab about 5-10 days a month a I need to get this stuff in my head and fast...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes I was talking about QC. I know each state has there own little laws or rules on blacktop and stone. I was wondering if anyone can give me some things to be able to pick up on it easier to pass test or what ways was it fastest for you to learn? I'm only in the lab about 5-10 days a month a I need to get this stuff in my head and fast...
What company you work for?

·
crew member
10,333 Posts
I was a QC lab tech for a limestone quarry for 8 years. Also did some recycled agg testing. I dont miss it. It was easy but my lungs are paying for all the raw silica dust.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 22 Posts