Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our race car,we have 2 red tops.

Last night at the local 1/8th mile track,I was letting my younger bro drive the car and it would randomly stall. Most times in the burnout...sounds like it would cut about 4 cylinders and then stall right after. Then it would take about 20 seconds to fire b/c ti was flooded. Thought it was a fuel problem and I looked it over only to find the front bowl a little low. Fixed that and still did it (obviously).

Parked it and put the battery charger on it for 5-10 minutes and then told him to go drive it and it ran perfect. Even before the batt charger, the volt gauge read 12 volts and the car DOES and have altenator. I dont get it...maybe the alt isnt keeping up w/ the electric W/P and dual fans?

Kinda sucks but we ran outta time after that good pass....and also lost the damn belt on that pass.

Anyone else have any issues like this?

Oh yeah, the box is a 7AL-2 and a pro billet dist. locked at 38*.

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Not me . I refuse to run Optima batteries .

·
T/S 368E
33,637 Posts

Ran dual red tops or single with alt for many many years. Never had one issue. I have no issue with using them again.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Dual blues now, dual red in the past. No issues, any brand can have problems but I have only seen a couple fail.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had to switch to a yellow top, I thought they stopped selling the reds? The blue top would not fit in my battery hold down.

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
Got a red one in the drag car now,runs everything with alternator....fuel pump,FAST,fan,water pump,intercooler pump and lights.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Two yellow tops here. You should have close to or over 14 volts with the engine running. If not you have problems. Either the alt. can't keep up or your wiring isn't heavy enough from the alt. to the battery. Figure that issue out first then go from there.

Craig

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips guys.

I have the alt wired to the batt. terminal on the starter. You may be right about the alt being bad...even charging its never at 14 bolts..about 12 Might be time for a new one b/c I dont even know how old this one is, haha.

Not sure if they still make the red tops for sure but I think they do. One of these is about 1-1/2 to 2 years old and the other is less than a year.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Are you running an underdrive, its also very possible the alt is never getting up to max rpm. should be between 1-1.75 1-3 over driven. Fixing this problem made a big diff for us

Mike

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Did the alternator belt come off? If it did, the belt was probably slipping and glazed....not the alternators fault.

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the belt came off the last run and yes its underdriven.

We're gonna add some grounds from the motor to the chassis but I really need to find a smaller crank pulley to get the alt. speed back up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a red top in my car and an interesting issue. I have a alternator and sometimes the volt gauge will read 14 and sometimes just 12. To me this seems like an alternator problem but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Actually you need a larger pulley on the crank to spin it faster. Also do you have any kind of disconnect in your power wire from the alt to the starter? I'd use no less than an 8gauge wire. One last thing how do you have it wired...Are you using the exciter wire?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Red tops (starting batteries) are readily available - and should only be used with alternators. Yellow tops (deep cycle) and will maintain
higher voltage and are suggested for racing applications, especially without alternators. Many users see 5-7 season easily if using the right battery and chargers. Alternators are very effective at reducing charge times, and increase battery life.

·
Registered
814 Posts
We have mini one wire alternators for 12 or 16 volt, chrome or plain and oversize pulley to slow it down for max performance and life. We also have battery quick disconnects and alternator quick disconnect kits.
Sometimes the simpliest things are hard to find - we have them!

Also, check out out new voltage logger - excellent tool for those of you who cant afford a complete data system - knowing your voltage can be very helpful when chasing electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
I have a red top in my car and an interesting issue. I have a alternator and sometimes the volt gauge will read 14 and sometimes just 12. To me this seems like an alternator problem but I'm not sure.
Need to know when it is happening, will make trouble shooting way easier. i.e. like at idle or with stereo, or after 1 hour driving, or just random

1 - 20 of 29 Posts