Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called Airgas and they don't really deal in it, if they did it would be a mess and very expensive. I tried Praxair and they do sell it but for the hefty cost of $295.20 + a 0.40c daily bottle fee AND $9.95 HazMat fee so well over $300! :-damnit I'm paying $7 a Lb at the local shop. Granted it's on a street bike with a 2lb bottle so I could share it while I use it but there has to be cheaper or did it just get that expensive :smt102

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SJ I am in Midwest Wisconsin. Maybe because they deal with it so little up here the price is higher? How much is the average bottle? I never purchased bulk but $300 seams a bit high

·
FFW CREW
1,183 Posts
SJ I am in Midwest Wisconsin. Maybe because they deal with it so little up here the price is higher? How much is the average bottle? I never purchased bulk but $300 seams a bit high
yeah praixair is a joke, in this area anyways. Been qouted the same from them before. theres cheaper alternatives, are you around Madison area?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I get it for $110 from valley gas ,man I'd quit racing at $300 a bottle

·
Registered
329 Posts
there has to be more than two gas supplyers in your area... i just got my phone book out and called until i found...
1. someone that treated me like a customer, not like they would be doing me a favor.
2. found the best price which ended up being at "A-Welders Supply".

·
Registered
329 Posts
i was told the local performance shop in knoxville went to $7 a pound... i called a friend of mine that works there and he said the distributor was messing with their cost, they use a bottle with a secondary port cause they use a NANO style system for fills and there was some B.S. issue with the dist. keeping that mother bottle on hand.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
It is so much more cost effective to fill your own bottles. There are companies here in town that we can get mother bottles from and I still find it to be less of a pain in the ass to drive 45 minutes away to get our mother bottles.

When you call tell them you want nitrous plus. I have noticed that many people that work at the welding supply companies are hard to deal with when it comes to nitrous.
Dave

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I just got off the phone with a guy at the local Airgas branch, and the guy was very nice (which I found odd, because the people at another branch are jackasses). He took the time to explain that corporate mandated that Airgas actually has to "inspect" where the bottles were ending up, and that they can only sell to legit businesses, and have a very complicated application process. He said this was in response to people figuring out how to remove the sulfur from the nitrous+, and resell the “clean” nitrous for illegal consumption. The info he gave me, he was reading strait from a recent corporate memo. If this is in any way true, I think it will be nearly impossible for us little guys to buy mother bottles here in the near future.

Anyone know where to buy in bulk in NE Ohio? I don’t have a problem buying from the race shop, it’s just inconvenient, especially running back to back weekends. And my dad is going to install a kit this winter, so we’ll both be running it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Do you have any matheson tri gas dealers or linweld? its 300$ up front for the bottle. i pay 78$ to exchange. 7$ a pound is outrageous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got off the phone with a guy at the local Airgas branch, and the guy was very nice (which I found odd, because the people at another branch are jackasses). He took the time to explain that corporate mandated that Airgas actually has to "inspect" where the bottles were ending up, and that they can only sell to legit businesses, and have a very complicated application process. He said this was in response to people figuring out how to remove the sulfur from the nitrous+, and resell the “clean” nitrous for illegal consumption. The info he gave me, he was reading strait from a recent corporate memo. If this is in any way true, I think it will be nearly impossible for us little guys to buy mother bottles here in the near future.
Airgas told me the same thing. Would be around $500 IF they would even want to deal in it, he said they get about 1 bottle a year. The local welding shop I called when I told them I wanted Nitrous he got really quiet then.. "for what" question. Racing.. "oh we don't deal with that here" I didn't realize what a pain it is to get

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yea I get it for $3/lb in Tulsa, I get 45lbs at a time, local it is $7-10/lb.

I've been thinking about getting into getting my own mother bottle, but Tulsa has it for so cheap that I'm okay with driving.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In southern MN we just got a bottle from Praxair @$360 and sell it for $7/lb because we feel that price is bad enough. Seems every time we get one from them the price goes up. An Airgas just came close to town and are looking at switching to them, cheaper but do have a lot of hoops to go through to get it. Man you guys that can get it for $4/lb should know you are damned lucky. We do have quite a few guys switching to turbos because of it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I pay 108 here in paris tn
get it from a welding shop
I'm not far from you and pay 110 with tax on a swap. I own one bottle and lease another.

In Tullahoma, TN sexton's welding has a fill station there you can bring your bottle right up to the main fill place and they refill for 75 or 80 bucks right there on the spot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts