Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little buddy is a boxer that is 8 yrs old and just started having siezures scary as hell. he has had 4 in the last month, any one have a dog that does this and if so do you give it meds and if so what was perscribed by the vet and did it stop them. when he comes to he seems fine but just alittle disoriented at first and breathing and pacing real heavily.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Had a beagle that had the same thing and just like you described. Vet placed her on Phenobarbital

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000542/

It helped, but over time they would come back and we had to up the dosage. We started her on them when she was two and continued till she was about 10 when her overall health required me to put her down.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Go the vet asap and the vet wanna do some blood work and put a on phenobarbital .. dude I know so painful to watch it have a seizure you can't do nothin to stop ... Keep ur hand far away from his or her mouth I use to lay Almost on top and try to hold him from hit hitting in to thing until he came out of it..... And I place a cool rag on to help bring his body temp down ......

·
Empress
1,928 Posts
I've had 2 dogs with seizures (father & daughter) both allergic to phenobarbital and the alternative was not cost effective. I found natural ways to treat the seizures. There are books that will help you too. I know it's scary but stay calm and see your vet.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
My sister had a dog with epilepsy and it had seizures. She gave it medication and it lived a full life. She was able to deal with it OK.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I had a boxer that came down with cancer, I had a spot removed that was bad and shortly after he started having seizures. the vet said the cancer had spread to his brain. I asked what was the chances of it makin him crazy one day out of the blue? she said no promises. with two small kids at home I had him put down that day.....Ive been in some bad situations, especially in the army, but that was the hardest thing ive had to do yet.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
My male cocker spaniel has had them his whole life. He used to have 3-4 a year, and every year it gets less frequent, He has not had one for over a year, Vet did not want to put him on meds, being such a mild case. It is scary to witness, I make sure he does not roll on his back and kneel down over top of him, and try to keep him still as possible, may last a minute, seems like an hour. When its over he seems like nothing happened. My female(his sister) had one about 5 years ago and that is the only one I think she had.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My dog had them. unless they have more than 2 in a 30 day period the vet normally wont treat them. my dog is on phenobarbital and has had no more seizures.

·
Registered
19,496 Posts
had a beagle with same issue eplipsy. Same stuff. had to put her down was too much for her and she was about 15 yrs old. Good luck.

·
Registered
37,882 Posts
My ex wife had a Welsh Corgi that starting getting them when he was 3. Phenobarb cured the problem entirely.

After a few years they gradually lowered the dosage until by the time he was 8 it was no longer needed.

It allowed his brain to retrain itself to take care of the impulse on its own.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
My Jack Russell gets them from time to time, phenobarbatol didn't seem to help, he'd have 2-3 per week but as time went on they've become less frequent, he's been living with my daughter and her husband for the past year and she told me he's only had 3 since she took him.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Our catahoula leopard dog has a few a year. He is about 8 years old and has been having them his whole life. It is scary when it happens. It wasn't enough for the vet to put him on any meds.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Our 8 years old GSD has one about every three weeks . She takes 8 phenobarbital a day. She has put on a lot of weight, and now we are fighting that.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Chow mix here that has a few a year. My wife had spoken with the vet before we got married after the first seizure. They did all the blood work and put him on meds for a while, after like 6-8 months with no more seizures the vet said he didnt have to take the meds. Now he only has 1-2 a year. Some last only 10-15 seconds, some last as long as 3 minutes. Those are the ones that are really hard to deal with (for us anyways) Doc says he is still fine and no need for meds, just that when he has one, make sure we stay calm, pet him, hold him, keep him calm and they will go away eventually. Main thing with ours is his body gest VERY tense, so tense I cant move his legs, doc said not to though because that can really physically hurt him.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Our Italian Greyhound has them. Probably a couple times a week. If they are mild he comes out within 10 minutes. If it last longer than that then we put honey in his mouth and sometimes he comes out right away. We have to give him special food cause some of the cheaper dog food has an ingredient that will cause him to have the seizure. I forgot which ingredient it is but it comes in most dog food. Look it up on google.

·
Unoffical YB Fundraiser
14,678 Posts
I had a 130lb rot/lab mix growing up that had them. The first time he had one I was home alone with him and had no idea what was going on. I heard a lot of noise and furniture being thrown around. I came running in to find my dog doing violent flips through out the house. I jumped ontop to hold him down and I swear to god he died in my arms. He passed a large amount of gas and his head dropped to the side. I gave him (dont fucking laugh) mouth to mouth and punched him in his chest, screaming you cant die dads gonna kill me (I was 15 or 16 at the time). After about 30 seconds he popped up like nothing had happened at all, and jumped up licking the crap outta me. Well we took him to the vet and the meds they gave him were over the top, he could not function. Had lots of accidents and slept most of the time. We even tried to cut the dose in 1/2 but it still had the same effect. So we took him of the meds and just delt with his siezures, some would last 10 hours +. I dont remember who told us but we were told to try maple syurp or peanut butter. So again I was home alone and heard all the same noises and came running into the room and he was at it again. This time I grabbed a spoon full of peanut butter and I pried his mouth open and rubbed it on his gums. With in 5 minutes the siezure had stopped. We used this remedy for the next 10 years untill he passed from old age, he was 16 years old.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Our dog has been on phenobarbitol for 12 years now,has had one or two seizures since she's been on it,other than that she's normal.

·
barndoorslammer
2,368 Posts
My retriever suddenly starting having very slight seizures. She must have had headaches because if I tried to pet or touch her head she would back away. We tried the phenolbarbitol but it was too late. She had a massive seizure and died. The vet said that she likely had a brain tumor. She was only 5. In some cases there is very little that can be done, sad as it is....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts