Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a dash tag/rivits made for a 68 Camaro..Dash was replaced and needs one to match title. Old tag not reusable.

·
T/S 368E
28,908 Posts

Definitely, way illegal around here!!!
I was told you absolutely have to reuse the original??
IIRC, a 1968 won't have all the hidden vin #'s new cars have,
but I would be very careful who knows what you're doing.

Good luck.

Reactions: Mike Beck

·
Registered
16,226 Posts
Ask around the Corvette crowd carefully, they've been doing it for 40 years. I forget the name of the shop ATM but there are rivets available that are identical to OEM.

·
T/S 368E
28,908 Posts

Rivets yes, that has been done forever, but stamping out an actual tag was always considered a crime.
IIRC, it's part of title fraud laws???

I don't know for sure, but when I bought 2 cars to build one out of them,
the shop said I absolutely could not use the donor cars tag??

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I would go nonchalant like and ask a DOT and ask it in A way like you want to buy a car but the VIN is rusted etc and you want to re-stamp a vin tag using the original numbers. I'm sure they could tell you if it's possible. Tell them it's to save a car that has a rusted window channel and rusted the tag or whatever. Just a thought

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I would think that as long as you have a clear title for the car you would be able to get a new/replacement vin tag for the car. Go to the DMV and tell them that you have a friend who needs a replacement VIN tag and ask their advice. Seems that if you have the title and the old tag, there should be some way to get a new tag legally. BUT, there again you are dealing with the DMV . . . . . . . . .

Reactions: 1Azgerman

·
Registered
13,987 Posts

Take care. Tom Worthington

·
T/S 368E
28,908 Posts

Great post Tom, that link explains it perfectly.
No BS explanation, and like I heard, if you do it yourself you could be violating title laws.

·
Registered
16,226 Posts
I would think that as long as you have a clear title for the car you would be able to get a new/replacement vin tag for the car. Go to the DMV and tell them that you have a friend who needs a replacement VIN tag and ask their advice. Seems that if you have the title and the old tag, there should be some way to get a new tag legally. BUT, there again you are dealing with the DMV . . . . . . . . .
Here in PA the DOT will issue a new VIN plate with a new PA issued number, and the title will be marked "reissued VIN". The plate looks like a reconstructed vehicle plate, much bigger than the OEM plate.

·
Registered
16,226 Posts

Rivets yes, that has been done forever, but stamping out an actual tag was always considered a crime.
IIRC, it's part of title fraud laws???

I don't know for sure, but when I bought 2 cars to build one out of them,
the shop said I absolutely could not use the donor cars tag??

Just removing and replacing the VIN tag with new rivets is illegal. Cutting a section of the body out containing the VIN tag and putting it on another body is illegal. No legit shop will go along with changing tags or numbers, that's something that has to be done in the dark if it must be done.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Reading Toms article I would think you could be opening a can of worms. How many of our cars have the original engines in them? If you go to DMV and end up dealing with some tree hugger that wants to take old cars off the road you could be screwed.

·
Registered
36,756 Posts
Lots of misconceptions here...

Of course, you can get a reassigned VIN tag. Missing tags isn't common but it's not unheard of, either...lots of homebuilt stuff and restored classics out there that need them and as far as I know, every state has a method. BUT, you CANNOT do it yourself (legally); most states have state-approved shops for this purpose and they'll authorize the shop upon presentation of proper documentation. Copies of your insurance, past registration, bills of sale and first and foremost, a lien-free title.

Obviously, the best advice is to check with your local DMV because state regs and procedures vary. No need to bullshit them about anything; assuming you didn't steal the car, just tell them you have a 1968 Camaro with a missing VIN and you need to start the process to get a new one. It ain't hard.

·
Registered
16,666 Posts
Reading Toms article I would think you could be opening a can of worms. How many of our cars have the original engines in them? If you go to DMV and end up dealing with some tree hugger that wants to take old cars off the road you could be screwed.
maybe the car does not even have an engine, what do they do then?

·
Registered
14,439 Posts
Most of the Cartels in Mexico make VINs for most any car.......not sure how easy they are to deal with though ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts