Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a feeler thread to see what combos are out there and what they are running. I see some builds, but not too many result threads. I just found and bought my tubbed 68 Camaro back that I built 20 years ago that I sold when I moved to AZ 15 years ago and planning on swapping out the BBC with spray for a twin BW setup to hopefully knock on the 7 second door. Car was 3080 without me in it with a BBC and TH400. Going to lighten it up a little more to try and get a 3000lb race weight with a forged+boosted LS and Glide and hurt some feelings. :twisted:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've recently finished mine and have made a couple of low boost passes. 9.8 at 144 with about 7 to 8 lbs of boost and a 3 second ramp. Combo is a 423" yates 3 head, blow thru, water to air. Est. 3280lbs. Car should be able to run a low 8 if everything is right. The new s369 does look good but I have yet to start to work these 66's

·
Registered
921 Posts
We have lots of customers making good power with twin S300 chassis turbos. Most we've ever seen out of the 80mm turbine wheels was 1600whp on a 427" LS with 66mm compressors. With the stainless housing options we have, there is a lot of room to play with those turbines.

Jack

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have lots of customers making good power with twin S300 chassis turbos. Most we've ever seen out of the 80mm turbine wheels was 1600whp on a 427" LS with 66mm compressors. With the stainless housing options we have, there is a lot of room to play with those turbines.

Jack
My engine is just a 365ci with Trick Flow 225cc heads and a LJMS stage 2 cam. Is the S300 chassis still a T4 exhaust housing? What are the benefits of the stainless housing over the cast besides weight savings?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've recently finished mine and have made a couple of low boost passes. 9.8 at 144 with about 7 to 8 lbs of boost and a 3 second ramp. Combo is a 423" yates 3 head, blow thru, water to air. Est. 3280lbs. Car should be able to run a low 8 if everything is right. The new s369 does look good but I have yet to start to work these 66's
Are your 66's cast or billet wheel versions? Sounds like they are moving out already on some low boost numbers!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very impressive numbers! From what I have been reading it seems my smaller ci engine might like the undivided .83 housing better, but I will let the experts guide me when the time comes. Not sure if I would even need the 69's or the billet wheels if the 66's are making such good power. I only have a 4 bolt 6.0 block so I am limited on the power it will handle anyway.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I don't know how all the options on the s366s are but here on the mountain a set of box stock 366s with the 73mm turbine and .88ar up here is only good to about ish 1200 whp.i would like to hear peoples experience on these.it sounds like there is other options.i would like to hear what little changes can be made to make 1400-1600whp on a 6.0.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My engine is just a 365ci with Trick Flow 225cc heads and a LJMS stage 2 cam. Is the S300 chassis still a T4 exhaust housing? What are the benefits of the stainless housing over the cast besides weight savings?
The S300 "chassis" is simply the bearing housing. This can be fitted with any number of wheels, covers, and housings and we still consider it a "300". We have T3 open/divided, T4 open/divided, and V-band inlet turbine housings options that fit a variety of wheel sizes for the 300 series.

Our stainless alloy's main benefits are thermal reflectivity (absorbs less heat from the exhaust gases, transferring more energy to the turbine wheel), weight, strength, and rust resistance.

Are your 66's cast or billet wheel versions? Sounds like they are moving out already on some low boost numbers!
We offer the Borg 66mm cast wheel, as well as a variety of our own billet wheels.

Jack

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Here's some real world data from my personal experience. I've been working directly with TiAl the past year doing some testing for them to help develop their Stainless V-Band exhaust housings. My combo is a 4.125" bore 3.75" stroke 400" 6 bolt LS Next. They built 2 identical pairs turbochargers for me to test, one pair with journal bearing Borg Warner S300 small turbine wheels 76.2x67.5 and the other pair ball bearing Garrett based 76x67. The same exact 67mm billet compressor wheels and covers, the same 1.03 A/R V-Band stainless exhaust housings. My junk made 1149 w/the s300's and 1197 with the Garrett's nothing else changed. This was not a fully optimized tune, after the back to back tests we leaned it out from 11.2 to 11.8 and added 2* timing and power picked up to 1264. Voltage was down at this point and started leaning out because of a charging issue. Both pair of chargers were done on my combo at 29#. The Borg Warner's have 11 blades vs 9 on the Garrett exhaust wheel, back pressure was slightly higher with the Borg Warner's. I contribute this to the exhaust wheel Taking up more space/volume inside the housing. The exhaust pressure was around 1.35 Garrett and 1.5 Borg Warner. The Garrett's made 1382whp earlier in the year with 14 volts on the same Superflow eddy current dyno. Oh the 1149 and 1197 numbers were drawing through K&N 4" cone filters, removing them was only worth 8 hp on this.

Currently the Garrett's have 72mm compressor wheels fitted to them and I haven't been back to the dyno. The back pressure is down and they maintain 35#+ boost, the filters make a very noticeable difference now too. The next step will be testing back to back with the custom S300's, then a cam change, then testing against the 69MM FMW SXE 80x73 Borg Warner exhaust wheel and Tial's 1.02 and possibly 1.16 exhaust housings.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Oh and the car currently weighs 3560# and went [email protected] on the last day of Drag Week after driving it 1500 miles. That was on 34# and only 13 degrees of timing. This past Saturday it went 169 on 13* I added 2* and ran 174. Timing was/is low because the timing table was/is not developed at over 30# as the previous compressors couldn't maintain over 29#.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oh and the car currently weighs 3560# and went [email protected] on the last day of Drag Week after driving it 1500 miles. That was on 34# and only 13 degrees of timing. This past Saturday it went 169 on 13* I added 2* and ran 174. Timing was/is low because the timing table was/is not developed at over 30# as the previous compressors couldn't maintain over 29#.
What fuel?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
For a big block why not use something in the s400 chassis, if you stick with a t6 housing you will save some cash.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
For a big block why not use something in the s400 chassis, if you stick with a t6 housing you will save some cash.
Shit just noticed forged lsx, either way the s400 chassis will give you a bigger turbine wheel.

Twin S467 cast with 83mm wheels in t4 housings dyno'ed 1350 through an air to air. 400" sbf.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Shane, did you ever do any testing with the normal 80x74mm turbine wheel? It is dramatically superior. Not the unclipped SXE version, the regular one.

Jack
No Jack, I dead set on keeping V-band in/out exhaust housings on the Nova and TiAl wasn't offering them a year ago. They were and still are extremely enthusiastic about developing new products at the time and took on the S300 chassis. They sent me GT4094's to install on the car while they adapted the Garrett exhaust housings to the small turbine S300's. The larger turbine S300's is what I wanted and still do as I feel that they fill a void in the performance small block V8 twin applications (between the GT35/37/40 and the GT42/45/S400 chassis).

The S400 chassis is much harder to package for a street twin setup and won't be as responsive as the smaller frame sizes, not to mention the huge weight difference.

My car is raced exclusively on E70-E85. I also prefer driving on it too as I prefer the exhaust smell over burnt Gasoline smell. The Holley EFI does an excellent job self tuning the fuel table switching between gas and ethanol.

Bill Devine was the first guy I contacted when I started searching for an alternative to Precision's too small for my needs V-band housings. His enthusiasm wasn't as high as I was looking for (don't read that as "not willing to provide free product", I have a very substantial amount of money invested with TiAl.)

·
Registered
921 Posts
No Jack, I dead set on keeping V-band in/out exhaust housings on the Nova and TiAl wasn't offering them a year ago. They were and still are extremely enthusiastic about developing new products at the time and took on the S300 chassis. They sent me GT4094's to install on the car while they adapted the Garrett exhaust housings to the small turbine S300's. The larger turbine S300's is what I wanted and still do as I feel that they fill a void in the performance small block V8 twin applications (between the GT35/37/40 and the GT42/45/S400 chassis).

The S400 chassis is much harder to package for a street twin setup and won't be as responsive as the smaller frame sizes, not to mention the huge weight difference.

My car is raced exclusively on E70-E85. I also prefer driving on it too as I prefer the exhaust smell over burnt Gasoline smell. The Holley EFI does an excellent job self tuning the fuel table switching between gas and ethanol.

Bill Devine was the first guy I contacted when I started searching for an alternative to Precision's too small for my needs V-band housings. His enthusiasm wasn't as high as I was looking for (don't read that as "not willing to provide free product", I have a very substantial amount of money invested with TiAl.)
Haha gotcha. Well let us know if you do want to try the larger turbine s300 in a V-Band housing. We've got them on the shelf!

Jack

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, getting some great information in this thread. It seems like there are a lot of options to decide on both compressor side and exhaust side.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts