Votes: 165 66.0%
  • I’m still stuck here but dreaming of getting out

Votes: 23 9.2%
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Practical Joker
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had a discussion at work about people who lived their whole life in one town. Some saying they gotta get out, some saying they dont need to leave. It has all they need.

Where are you from?

discuss?

Ray

·
Gone Camping.
10,613 Posts
I left home at 18 and moved to Vancouver. .. Stayed there for 17 years...
moved back to Alberta because my parents were getting pretty old. Mom has since past and dad is no in great health.
Once he's gone planning on moving somewhere new. Must be near a racetrack and safe for my kid.

·
Practical Joker
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have added a fifth option.

I've left but want to retire there one day

Seems to be the common discussion. People want to leave the confines of their home town and make it big. But still dream of retiring there for family or sentimantal reasons.

So where are YOU from?

·
Practical Joker
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I left home at 18 and moved to Vancouver. .. Stayed there for 17 years...
moved back to Alberta because my parents were getting pretty old. Mom has since past and dad is no in great health.
Once he's gone planning on moving somewhere new. Must be near a racetrack and safe for my kid.
I left victoria for vancouver

Vic is too small man.. Van has the same huge cost of living but 10x the oppertunitys to make money

·
Gone Camping.
10,613 Posts
Now im back in Lethbridge Alberta. .. boring. Flat and boring...
but safe and cheap and i actually make more money then i did in Vancouver.

·
Super Moderator
47,306 Posts
I have,.......and don't intend to move back.

It's a more urban city, and I've moved into a more rural setting. Not looking to go back.

·
Super Moderator
47,306 Posts
It's funny but, I work in a town here in RI,...and I know a friend who lives in near by MA, who lives in a certain town there,.....where if you were to give this survey to people living in both of these towns, 99% would vote number 1 option,.....they never leave.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Moved out of NYC when I was 21. Didn't go back for 20+ years then went to a H.S reunion. Now I go back every 3 or 4 years to see old friends. with things the way they are now, sadly I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon...

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Moved from a small town to the city 20 years ago for a job. Still go visit, but have no desire to move back.

Dad lived in the same town his entire life, brother is still there. He inherited the house when the folks passed, so he won't go anywhere either.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Born in Holland, MI. Raised all over Michigan till highschool then moved to FLA for 20+yrs, living in CO now. I'd have a hard time leaving Colorado. I can see me going back to FLA one day but probably not Mich.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Left my home town for college and then the military. 24 years later and I'm still not going back. Been settled in my current city for over 12 years and not moving.

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,529 Posts
never moved .... i even built my busines in this small town .... its rural . and not close to much , need to drive 15ish mins to walmart .... 45 mins to anything else like lowes/hd . etc ...... i like it here becuase its somewhat convenently located , 6 miles from i81 . close to alot of frieght terminals for shipping frieght , and close to alot of different steel suppliers ..... climate is good .... cost of living isnt bad . etc ..... i travel a good bit so that helps fill the void of wanting out .....

·
Mother Hen
51,782 Posts
We moved from the place I was born when I was three, but I spent nearly every summer of my childhood there. I grew up in a town that never seemed to have a real sense of community. I moved in my late twenties to a small town one over from the one I grew up in. This is my town, the one my daughter is growing up in, and I don't forsee leaving here. I lived several other places a couple of times in my life, but always wanted to come back home and be close to my family.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I grew up in a sort of backwater little town that was ok far as I knew when I was a kid. Nice place right on the lake, enjoyed boating and all that but... My first Summer job was in Ann Arbor Mi and I really liked being in town. Have lived in town ever since I moved out of my parents house at age 19. No regrets here. They both live in town now too, but separate towns, lol

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Depends on what you are considering home town. My actual home town is Channelview, TX which is a suburb of the Houston Area. I moved out to Baytown 12 years ago, which is only 8 miles east of Channelview LOL. I will probably stay in the general Houston area because we have everything. But I want to eventually get a couple/few of acres a little further out and be able to do whatever I want on my property. The work is here, so I can't see myself moving anymore than a 30 mile drive to work.

Now if/when I ever have enough money saved up to retire, who knows what I'll do. My grandparents used to have a really nice house on the Llano river up in the Texas Hill Country area. I wouldn't mind having something like that on a lake since I like boating almost as much as I like drag racing (I'm sure eventually boating will take over).

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Been here in souf kakalackee all of my life. Moved a few times to surrounding areas but came back to the family land, built my dreamhouse and have intentions of ever leaving. Been in my family since the 1800's. It feels right. I live in the middle of one of the largest cities in the state but in the middle of 12acres. No neighbors and if I wanna tag the ole lady on the front/back porch, I don't have an audience.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Grew up in Muscatine Iowa and moved to Grant Alabama about 12 years ago. Im 48 now, dont miss the cold winters and salty roads. The city has also changed since I left. Only reason to go back is my mom and sister, as well as some friends. Never will live there again. Plus Iowa has gone wacko liberal.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Not only the same small town but the same house I grew up in.
58 years.

No I don't live in the basement with my mom. My mother moved to Nevada and gave me our house the year I got married. The wife and I been in it for 36 years now.

After last winter We're ready to fly south.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts