Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's time to face the facts.. I think my head gasket is leaking.. It smokes on the right bank but doesn't smell like oil. It doesn't smell like antifreeze either, but I think it's seeping just enough coolant to smoke up... FUCK.. :D

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
I wished that was the case in my last 2 engine failures, instead the block cracked in the cylinder wall, both times. Sleeved one, ran for a while, then cracked another. 454 BBC +.060" stock block. Broke both times @ 15 lbs boost.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've cracked a cylinder too.. 'On the highway, did a quick hit and next thing I know it's fuckin spy hunter smoke screen in my rearview mirror.. At least I made it home before it totaly overheated. 'Thought I blew a gasket.. Tried to start it next day and it was hydralocked. Drained the oil and it was the exorcist.. And then I took the heads off..

Stock block. Took it all to the scrapper. block, crank, rods.. got like $14 bux.. LOL

·
Registered
18,410 Posts
Yeah, I've cracked a cylinder too.. 'On the highway, did a quick hit and next thing I know it's fuckin spy hunter smoke screen in my rearview mirror.. At least I made it home before it totaly overheated. 'Thought I blew a gasket.. Tried to start it next day and it was hydralocked. Drained the oil and it was the exorcist.. And then I took the heads off..

Stock block. Took it all to the scrapper. block, crank, rods.. got like $14 bux.. LOL

View attachment 92616
That sucks!!

·
Registered
13,135 Posts

View attachment 92616
Looks very familiar. (And expensive)
Sounds like yours cracked just like mine, into the water jacket. Pulls that water in fast doesn't it? I finally bought a Dart Big M block. No issues since.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone half fill their big block? Haven’t boosted yet but have a .100over and will be putting in a blower hopefully by end of July if my build goes right 12lbs is the smallest pulley. Older V4-Z. I still have over .200 on thrust side. Any thoughts?

I know I will have to machine it again to make sure cylinders are straight. But that’s a lot of weight I’m thinking. Street driven

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Haven't blown a gasket but have cracked a head beyond repair.

·
Registered
565 Posts
"Done that too...it tried to blow cyl8 head off the engine, also bent a rod on that cylinder."
Looks to me like it leaked coolant into the cylinder and hydraulic'd , bent rod/ white deposits on valve/clean quench pad point that way IMO. Takes a lot of force to break a head like that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts