Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone on here has gone to Wyotech. I have a 14 year old that wants to go. He is a smart one, allways in the top 2 of his class. He wants to get into mechanics and get on a race team somehow. Just need some opinions and advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
i wouldnt do it. i went to UTI and i have some friends that went to wyotech...i look back at it wishing i did somthing else. i havent worked on cars since i graduated there lol if your kid is smart he will be better off in a different career or mech. engineer like jon volk said.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If hes smart he should know that you arent going to get rich being a mechanic. Send him somewhere for a real degree in engineering, etc. A guy with a good science degree can be worth more to any race team than a guy that can turn a wrench.

·
Registered
434 Posts
those auto tech schools are nothing more than money machines for the people who run them. And then you have the tool supplyers who prey on the kids with their promises of discounts on tools, so they leave school with another 10 grand in debt to go work an $8/hr job. I'd bet that only 1/4 of grads actually work in their fields after graduation.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i went to wyotech..took collision and chassis fabrication. And I don’t work in the field. The only good thing is I got all my ICAR certs, but they aren't doing me any good.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have no personel experience with the guys from Wyotech but a customer of mine had a car shipped to the Wyotech school in California from NY because a friend of his was attending that school and the teachers had told him that they would work on his car as a project while he was enrolled there. It was third gen camaro backhalved Super Pro car, that they were to update the cage and install an aluminum dash and paint the car . Well 9 months later he had gotten the car back and the wiring was completely cut out of the car, the firewall was also cut out for no apperent reason because they said that with a BBc in a 3rd gen the dist. would not fit,never fixed the firewall, the paint is herendous I had thought it was only base coated but the pillars have a shine as if clearcoated and the aerospace brake kit for the front end was put on and they jammed the wheels on w/metric lug nuts. If you want the teachers that don't give a crap about what there teaching and just want students to fill there pocket w/ money by all means sign him up but that left a bad taste in my mouth about Wyotech.
Oh I have the car in my shop I would be happy to take pics for you.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Stay away from the big schools like that, they are nothing but a waste of time! Have been around several "graduates" from there and not one of them would I trust to change oil... There is nothing wrong with becoming a tech, if he is a good one he will always be in demand, with that said though, seriously talk him into some type of engineering.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I graduated Wyotech in June, top in my class. I went in knowing a good deal, I did learn a bit as well. The biggest problem with the school is a kid can get 50's in class and then get a 80 in shop which is a group effort and still pass the class. Thats my biggest gripe. I can honestly say I wouldnt let 99% of the kids there touch my cars though, most of them dont belong turning a screwdriver let alone a wrench. I'm now enrolling in another college to get my engineering degree. I liked the school, the experience, and the teachers I had, they spent a lot of time with me and I asked a lot of questions. Managed to get a few ASE certs as well. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I will say that going to wyotech ISNT a fast track to anything special, and the career services is a joke.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I went and checked it out to take just the upholstery course and after going through the tour decided against it. The tour was a sales pitch with huge promises that being older I could see right through. When the guy giving the tour asked if anyone was going into diesel and no one was he said good that isn't a great career move. I knew it was a joke. Like others have said send him to get an engineering degree he will make more money and a greater demand for him

·
Registered
641 Posts
those auto tech schools are nothing more than money machines for the people who run them. And then you have the tool supplyers who prey on the kids with their promises of discounts on tools, so they leave school with another 10 grand in debt to go work an $8/hr job. I'd bet that only 1/4 of grads actually work in their fields after graduation.
I graduated 5years ago. where am I now at Wal-mart for the past 4 years. I didn't learn enough to survive at a body shop alone.

A friend at works son just graduated, his girlfriend works there, he only paid like $1500 per class at the employee price. it is now up to about $30K. talk about mark up. And the money isn't going to the instructors they only make about $45k a year.

Tim

·
Registered
519 Posts
I went to wyotech. Its 100% what you put in is what you get. I got a job with Chrysler after graduation doing nothing I really went for (went for collision and now doing service advisor work) and its fine. I enjoy my job but there are a lot of people there who treat it like high school, fucking off and bringing the experience and the information you can take in.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got both kids in junior dragsters, the older one got to be on a alchol funny car team for a day last year and they wanted to keep him but he was to young, he sees the commercials on tv and they do make it look good, thats why I asked here first before he really gets serious on what he wants to do. We live in Canada so we will see what they have for good trade schools up here before makin a decision. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts