Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an Indiana resident and have the Indiana lifetime ccw permit. There is no training required to get the CCW in Indiana, and it is not accepted in alot of states. I work and spend alot of time in Ohio, but they dont accept the Indiana CCW. The Ohio Atorney General actually called me back after I emailed them to see if there was any way to get a permit to carry in Ohio. He informed me that I could not get an Ohio permit without being an Ohio resident, but I COULD get one from either Florida or Utah as a non-resident and that is accepted by Ohio.

So now, I need to take an NRA (or other) training/safety class and get a Florida non-resident CCW permit.

Has anyone else done this? Is there anything I should be aware of in getting a second CCW?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I see the Utah permit being mentioned a lot by people who need multiple state permits. I would see which permit
has reciprocity in the most states and get that one (as long as it includes Ohio).

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have 3 CCW permits, my state (NE), Utah and N H. I did have a professional permit for Iowa for non-resident which now takes my Nebraska one as of the first of this year. Can get the Florida non-resident CCW permit if I send them $117.00 and my paper work in. Your state needs to update it's requirements for getting a permit as far as training and range testing (shooting) to meet other state's standards. I'm a N.R.A. certified Pistol, Rifle, Home Firearms Safety Instructor and a Chief Range Safety Officer (instructor). Check with the N.R.A. website for a instructor in your area and take the courses. All training adds to your skill and knowledge of firearms, their operations and proper handling" Safety". You can't lose by having it.

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
I may get another permit, because we pissed people off by extending ours to 7 years and now we've lost Nevada and possibly others for reciprocation.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
For Texas holders

Permit Not Honored:
California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington, West Virginia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia
Right Denied:
Illinois, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
For Texas holders

Permit Not Honored:
California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington, West Virginia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia
Right Denied:
Illinois, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands
all those states and islands can kiss my texas born ass....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I live in NY state, which is a tough state to get a permit in. As a matter of fact after having a hunting and target permit, (which specifically is non carry), I just got my full carry for the whole state except NYC. I only was able to get my full carry because the judge who accepts and denies these permits just retired and a more conservative judge took his place. But, to answer your question, I do alot of driving between NY and Florida, so I got my Florida, Penn., Virginia, and Ct. non resident permit. It's a pain in the ass because they all have to be renewed, and some are 5 years and some just became 7 year permits, so you ahve to stay on top of it. If I had done my research better I would have found out that the Utah permit is good for many states, and I could have cut out some of my redundant permits. I know that NY does not have non resident permits.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I can't believe you could get a permit from a state you don't live in but it doesn't matter anyway. They'll all be accepted in any state soon just like a driver's license is now. This has been in the works for a while now to get them all reciprocal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't believe you could get a permit from a state you don't live in but it doesn't matter anyway. They'll all be accepted in any state soon just like a driver's license is now. This has been in the works for a while now to get them all reciprocal.
I think that is because of all the snow birds. Florida has tons of people who are not perminant residents.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 3 CCW permits, my state (NE), Utah and N H. I did have a professional permit for Iowa for non-resident which now takes my Nebraska one as of the first of this year. Can get the Florida non-resident CCW permit if I send them $117.00 and my paper work in. Your state needs to update it's requirements for getting a permit as far as training and range testing (shooting) to meet other state's standards. I'm a N.R.A. certified Pistol, Rifle, Home Firearms Safety Instructor and a Chief Range Safety Officer (instructor). Check with the N.R.A. website for a instructor in your area and take the courses. All training adds to your skill and knowledge of firearms, their operations and proper handling" Safety". You can't lose by having it.

I agree my state needs to update it's policy on this. I will look into the NRA training course. I have been hunting and shooting for 30 years and never thought I needed that course, but it could not hurt to possibly learn about new gun technology, and laws.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I have one in my home state and a Utah permit, almost no one reciprocates with MD.... The Utah permit works out better in the long run cost wise. FL is expensive to renew. You do have to take a Utah specific class the get the Utah permit though which makes it a little more expensive up front.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Have Ohio, Florida is in the works. I think that gives me either 35 or 38 states altogether. The FL Non-Resident adds TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, and PA (probably some others, but those were the important ones to me).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have one in my home state and a Utah permit, almost no one reciprocates with MD.... The Utah permit works out better in the long run cost wise. FL is expensive to renew. You do have to take a Utah specific class the get the Utah permit though which makes it a little more expensive up front.
I would really like to have another lifetime one, but FL is only 7 years currently.

·
Registered
678 Posts
A permit isn't a life time deal, like a life time membership in a club, it needs to be check as far as being updated to the changes in the laws, skill levels and knowledge of the holder. If all states give the same training course and shooting test. Then there wouldn't be as many problems "if the state laws were all the same too". But like everything else the laws vary greatly from state to state. And 2 states, they all but outlaw hand guns which in my book is against our constitution. Work on getting your training, practice with your firearm of choice, vote in PRO-GUN people to protect your gun rights and change some of the bad laws that are on the books. Our rights are not a privilege as some law makers think.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I have permits/licenses for OR (where I live), WA, NH, & FL. I travel a lot for racing, and try to maximize the number of states I can carry in. When I am doing a cross-country trip I make it a point to avoid the anti-rights states. If I have to pass through them at all I make sure to keep it to a minimum and not spend any money there.

Here in OR there is a bill up to allow reciprocity. Hopefully it passes!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The place I took my Ohio class had Indiana residents taking the Ohio class to allow them to carry in ohio

1 - 20 of 32 Posts