Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering doing my own taxes on taxact.com but I've never done it before. Is it hard? Scary? Something I should leave to a professional?

I am a home owner (just bought the place 1/30/2010) so i do have mortgage interest, property taxes etc. to file for the first time.

That's why I'm hesitant. If I still just had a simple return I'd go at it.

·
Bracket racer
13,290 Posts
I did mine with turbotax and it's a breeze. I still live at home though so mine's pretty simple....

·
Registered
889 Posts
I use turbotax, just filed mine about an hour ago. They have different levels to choose from. Deluxe works pretty good for me with deductions and investments etc. Its very easy to use.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Turbotax here never had an issue
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Yellow Mullet
7,577 Posts
Same here. Turbotax for many years. You'll need the deluxe version for any deductions such as your motgage and stuff, but very easy to do it.

·
Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
I've used Taxcut for at least 10 years.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I always used H&R Block and this year I did it online using TurboTax, and it was very easy to do even with all the deductions, I'm gonna do mine this way every year, also it was free to do federal and state and e-file them.. saved me from having to pay H&R Block...

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
vote for turbo tax, just did mine, it's easy to do...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I always used H&R Block and this year I did it online using TurboTax, and it was very easy to do even with all the deductions, I'm gonna do mine this way every year, also it was free to do federal and state and e-file them.. saved me from having to pay H&R Block...
I used to use HR block too. When I first started in the mid 90's, it was $150 for itemized deductions and schedule C for business (needed if you win any appreciable amount of money. At the time I was doing artwork for t-shirts as a business). HRBs prices rose rapidly, seems like $50 to $100 per year for the same forms I always did. Two years ago it was $600 and I decided enough was enough. It wasn't that much more work to do Turbo tax because I had to dig up all the info and pass it along anyway.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Turbotax.... state check in my hands took about 5-7 days.

The Feds are holding until Feb.14

2nd year doing my own, 1st year had a local tax pro check with no gains/loses :)

Simple step by step....just have all your papers ready.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok looks like i'll give it a shot. Im just so tired of paying someone $150 or more for a half hour of work. I dont know anyone else knockin down $300 an hr!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Another vote for turbotax. I did mine yesterday. It walks you through all the homeowner stuff, its very easy. Been using it for many years.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts