Why won't a set of these lifters work in an LS engine?:smt064

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
the roller is on the wrong end

·
Registered
354 Posts
The slots for the lifter tray are on the wrong sides....LOL.. They should be opposite the roller

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The slots for the lifter tray are on the wrong sides....LOL.. They should be opposite the roller
Ding, ding, ding. Good eye!

It's a late model BBC roller lifter

Do you have any idea at the racket an SBC/LS engine makes with a set of these installed and running?

Long story short: Customer brings car, says motor was just built by "so-n-so" but making a helluvalot of noise.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bet the Cam looks just as good.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think that deserves the "BLUE RIBBON DUMBASS OF THE YEAR AWARD".

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cam, bearings, oil pump, cylinder walls, piston skirts, and the rings look just as good as the roller does.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easier that one might think. Even once I got it apart, it took a few moments and gazing at the lifters laying on the table for a light bulb to come on.

The guy that built the engine just had a box of lifters that he probably squirted some oil on and jammed them in an open hole. The he turned them to match the lifter retaining cups. He more than likely wasn't paying attention to such as he didn't know or think any different.

From my understanding, the builder went with the the big block lifters since they were more "heavy duty". Logical way of thinking I guess, he just didn't pay attention well enough. I'm not talking shit about the guy, he made a mistake was all and a costly one. He opted to pay for all necessary parts but won't pay labor since he's not the one doing the job. I can understand that to a fault.

I'm one anal SOB and would have caught it in the beginning. Although it is far from necessary, all my lifters have to be pointing the same direction and I place them accordingly. The oil hole being forwards or backwards does not matter...................except probably to me. I just like to keep uniformity in everything I do. Call me weird.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Easier that one might think. Even once I got it apart, it took a few moments and gazing at the lifters laying on the table for a light bulb to come on.

The guy that built the engine just had a box of lifters that he probably squirted some oil on and jammed them in an open hole. The he turned them to match the lifter retaining cups. He more than likely wasn't paying attention to such as he didn't know or think any different.

From my understanding, the builder went with the the big block lifters since they were more "heavy duty". Logical way of thinking I guess, he just didn't pay attention well enough. I'm not talking shit about the guy, he made a mistake was all and a costly one. He opted to pay for all necessary parts but won't pay labor since he's not the one doing the job. I can understand that to a fault.

I'm one anal SOB and would have caught it in the beginning. Although it is far from necessary, all my lifters have to be pointing the same direction and I place them accordingly. The oil hole being forwards or backwards does not matter...................except probably to me. I just like to keep uniformity in everything I do. Call me weird.
Allow me to ask the really dumb question. Did the engine builder assemble the entire engine? If so, wouldn't the rollers being oriented wrong cause the engine to be somewhat difficult to roll over while checking piston to valve? ...or am I reading too far into the build and PTV probably wasn't checked?

·
Registered
49,435 Posts
It just needs really really slippery oil........

Kurt
remmember those bullnosed ceramics from the 90's ? maybe they were going for that.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Allow me to ask the really dumb question. Did the engine builder assemble the entire engine? If so, wouldn't the rollers being oriented wrong cause the engine to be somewhat difficult to roll over while checking piston to valve? ...or am I reading too far into the build and PTV probably wasn't checked?
ptv probably wasnt checked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts