Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke a rod which smoked one of the combustion chambers on a Butler Performance CNC ported aluminum head off my 461. I'm in PA. Anyone that can rebuild the combustion chamber anywhere near my area?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...this is a major set back for us! The whole motor is basically junk, so trying to salvage the heads if possible.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could only post a link to the picture for now. I'm hoping that someone can digitize an adjacent combustion chamber and CNC the repaired chamber to a very close replica.

I believe both heads have bent valves and will need seat work and all. I'm looking for a one stop shop...I ship the heads to you and you ship them back ready to bolt on the new short block.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If you're willing to ship them off, HED does quite a bit of welded repairs and are most certainly a one stop shop.

·
Super Moderator
9,235 Posts
I would start with Butler Performance. If the head has a specific CNC'd chamber they can probably repair the damage and re-cut that chamber. If it is aluminum it can most likely be repaired.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
I could only post a link to the picture for now. I'm hoping that someone can digitize an adjacent combustion chamber and CNC the repaired chamber to a very close replica.

I believe both heads have bent valves and will need seat work and all. I'm looking for a one stop shop...I ship the heads to you and you ship them back ready to bolt on the new short block.
Slawko can most definitely do it.....
I've seen some pretty bad f'd up heads look like brand new when done, he can digitize the chamber and CNC it. New seats and probably a better valve job then you had.

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
I would start with Butler Performance. If the head has a specific CNC'd chamber they can probably repair the damage and re-cut that chamber. If it is aluminum it can most likely be repaired.
Agreed.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,908 Posts
Not to steal any work from fellow YB members, but Brandywine Cylinder Heads in Brandywine PA did AWESOME work fixing the mess I made of my heads! I would use him again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. My local machine shop said they could repair it as well, but they do not possess 3D modeling or a CNC, so I would fear that the chamber would not be perfect and would come at a high man-hour/cost result.

I'll call Butler tomorrow and see what they say, then I'll go from there. Thanks again for your insight. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Dean Bowman Head and Block in York Springs (just south of Carlisle.) Rebuilds broken aluminum blocks and etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts