Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying JEGS hose and fittings for the first time the other night and seeing upon arrival that what they advertise is not actually true, I'm starting to question things... PN 555-104913 says Made in the USA on their site, but when I get the package, it clearly says Made in China. Now, I know that JEGS and Summit don't actually make their own fittings, but I figured that they find an actual company for example, someone like Aeroquip, to buy bulk from at a cheap price and then call it their own brand to sell cheaper but it actually be the same thing. Guess I was wrong though. Now, I'm wondering if they are basically just an EBAY dealer in disguise for this cheap shit that's overpriced and screwing people over. I've been buying Summit brand hose and fittings on the build so far since their stuff says made in USA. I've even called Summit a few months back asking them to tell me who makes their brand of fittings and hose but their response was, "We don't have info to something like that and are not able to find out." That should have been my first red flag...

So all this to ask, does Russell, Aeroquip and Fragola make their own product on US soil or are they doing the same thing?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Using and selling Aeroquip for a long time. They seem well built and consistent. Internal sizing seems larger than the Chinese copies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most companies have moved their production to a strange where cheaper labor. This is China and India, and Bangladesh.
You can country the manufacturer by code number on the product. Is it on the box?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have actually had good luck with both the Jegs and Summit branded fittings. Some have been on my car for years and no issues with leaks or breakage. So whoever is making them they are doing a good job.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Makes me wonder what the hell went wrong with the Fragola hose ends I just got, I'm aware they are are family owned and made in the USA, that was the main reason I used them. Both -16 pushlock hose ends the 37 deg taper was off by a mile and leaked like a sive, and 2 of the 4 -12 PTFE hose ends also leaked at the taper. Was able to use conical seals on the -12 and get it to stop, but not thrilled about having to rig it. Hopefully an isolated incident. Lots of my friends use them without issue. I have used lots of their fittings but haven't used their hose ends until recently.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Makes me wonder what the hell went wrong with the Fragola hose ends I just got, I'm aware they are are family owned and made in the USA, that was the main reason I used them. Both -16 pushlock hose ends the 37 deg taper was off by a mile and leaked like a sive, and 2 of the 4 -12 PTFE hose ends also leaked at the taper. Was able to use conical seals on the -12 and get it to stop, but not thrilled about having to rig it. Hopefully an isolated incident. Lots of my friends use them without issue. I have used lots of their fittings but haven't used their hose ends until recently.
lube

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Lube isn't going to fix an angle that is off, and I do use a small amount of ARP Ultra Lube on all my fittings. Really don't want to speak badly of any company, just sharing my results. I replaced the -16 hose ends with Aeroquip and have zero leaks. I would have replaced the -12 as well but have a bad hip and just can't be on the floor anymore,

·
Registered
215 Posts
Fragola, mainly from the reviews here. No issues but haven't had them on the car that long. Fairly easy to install on stainless line which is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I had started buying Fragola fittings to replace the various different brands on my car. I have 2 different hose ends that seep just slightly. Enough that dust will gather on them and you can see they are wet. They are mated to Fragola adapters so it isn't mixing of brands, although that really shouldn't matter because 37° is 37° but I run a production machine shop so I know how things can go South on your QC if you aren't very diligent. In the future it will be Aeoquip from now on because the fuel lines are next front to back in PTFE. Don't want those to seep for certain.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I doubt that there is any manufacturer who makes 100% of their fittings and hose in the USA. Just too much competition in the world market and they must remain competitive to survive. Used to be that Aeroquip, Parker and Weatherhead (now owned by Aeroquip) made their products in the USA and supplied same to US Military, hence the AN fitting (Army Navy) moniker for these parts. Parts made off-shore are not necessarily bad quality as long as the designs and specifications are adhered to and constant inspection is always necessary.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just hate the idea of Chinese parts on my car, or anything not American made to be honest. It wasn't until after I bought my electric water pump and installed it that I learned Proform is mostly ,if not all, Chinese products. I'm sure there's quite a few things on mine that are not American made that I don't know about but I really try to buy products that are made in America for a few reasons. I guess I'm going to give this Chinese shit that I just ordered a try and see what happens. Don't really care to send it back, order from EBAY and then wait a week before I get it just so I can save $40-$50 when I want to finish something that's been planned to get done for a while now.

If it doesn't cause problems, I may continue to use JEGS and Summit's brand of fittings and hose but I'll definitely start considering Fragola and Aeroquip in the future, even though it is a pretty penny more, but hey, you're probably getting what you pay for with quality and peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Parts made off-shore are not necessarily bad quality as long as the designs and specifications are adhered to and constant inspection is always necessary.
This is the problematic area. All the engineering can be correct. All the specs can be right. All the quality checks can be in place. Once it goes offshore, you lose these manufacturing process controls regardless how much you think you controlled them. Unless you have your internal people on the ground over there making sure it is done right, corners will be cut and quality will suffer. At that point it is break-even to bring in back in house, onshore, to maintain brand quality. They gained nothing but cheaper parts at the expense of cheaper quality.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So, I tried and wanted the JEGS fittings to work, but they didn't. VERY tough to get the nipple of the fitting to slide into the ptfe lining, even after lubing both and enlarging the lining with the end of a marker some. I was able to get the nut started onto the threads for the first couple but afterwards was very tough to tighten up with the AN wrench. Could not get the gap between the two, less than a 1/16" (.0625) which is what is needed to seal off. To make sure I wasn't a huge dumbass that forgot how to make the hoses and fittings mate together, I grabbed my Summit Racing ptfe hose and a fitting and had them assembled with ease in less than 2 minutes. In conclusion, the JEGS line of fittings is JUNK. Look closely at the pics and you'll see the difference of how the Summit fitting is tapered, versus the JEGS is straight on the nipple that is on the bottom of the fitting. The olive/ferrule seems to be made of different metal but same design and taper. Sending this shit back tomorrow...

·
Busy being a cunt
30,025 Posts
Speedflow, not made in the US but as good as you're gonna find in this climate of fuckers outsourcing to China.

I'd prefer to use Speedflow or Aeroquip over any mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts