Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering about this for a while - has anybody a view on which is best for max race performance, a Whipple twin screw or a centifugal blower (usually a procharger looking through this forum).
The biggest Whipple claims to flow about 3400 CFM and presumably cos its a positive displacment blower, more or less constant boost throughout rev range.
If you had a 3400 CFM Whipple equiped car versus a car with a 3400 CFM ProCharger (if they make one?), which would be fastest?

·
Registered
736 Posts
my guess would be the procharger for sure, you can run it through an intercooler and get < 70* air, i doubt you'd ever see that with a wipple

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Whipple makes a dual core intercooler we use on the boats, very large, very efficient. Got one on a motor we working right now that will end up making close to 1500 hp on 93 octane

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
Whipple makes a dual core intercooler we use on the boats, very large, very efficient. Got one on a motor we working right now that will end up making close to 1500 hp on 93 octane
X2!
Took the words out of my mouth.

Whipple makes an intercooled BBC kit that starts at $5600

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
we were wondering the same thing. My buddy has been looking at the new Whipple W200r with intercooler. I am leaning towards an F1r or so....anybody ever use the W200r?

this will be on a SBC

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
one word on the whipple- boost is instant, i have full boost by 2500 rpm. You'd be hard to produce that with a centrifugal

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
BluChev~ What are you running your Whipple on? Would love to see some pics.......

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
we were wondering the same thing. My buddy has been looking at the new Whipple W200r with intercooler. I am leaning towards an F1r or so....anybody ever use the W200r?

this will be on a SBC
Yes thats the 3.3 liter one, put 6 or so on some marine engines, very nice kits made good power on some 502's, 7-8 lbs made more power than 8-71's at same boost, running a single dominator makes it easier also

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The idea of an intercooled Whipple makes me think even more that a Whipple should out perform a similar size Centrifugal. Good low RPM boost, no boost drop when engine RPM is pulled down after a shift, similar Adiabatic efficiency (air heating effect) etc.
I was thinking that somebody would come up with some reason why centrifugals seem to be more common than Whipples, but I've not heard anything to that effect yet...
How about longevity, I have heard that you need to be careful coming out of a burnout with a Centrifugal cos u can damage the gear drive when the RPMs are pulled down - anybody had that experience? How about Whipples, do they have a weakness?

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Centrifugals are more popular due to being able to bleed off the boost, and as such, control bringing the power in. You can't really control boost with a screw/roots, and as such are limited to timing and fuel curve changes.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How about longevity, I have heard that you need to be careful coming out of a burnout with a Centrifugal cos u can damage the gear drive when the RPMs are pulled down - anybody had that experience? How about Whipples, do they have a weakness?[/QUOTE]
Broken everything from the blower down, but not the Whipple itself. Got a quad rotor been running for about 7 years, and some single 3.3's running 4 years. Hard use also, minutes at w.o.t. not seconds

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
last time i checked the 305ax was about 8k plus the snout and bypass valve(s).... so figure 9000

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
I think as far as superchargers go, for all out power its really hard to beat a PSI at least until the rumored DMPE screw comes out.

As far as a all out pump gas psycho street deal the centrifugal is a neat setup and due to charge temps, lack of instant boost off idle, and low drag at low speeds (so the motor is not killing itself when there is no need to) its really hard to beat for this kind of application.

The only thing that has always bothered me is the damn sound of the things...it has always been my assumption that the gear box is the culprit and that the sounds of the gear box are fed into the impeller and transmitted by it. Its really a shame that someone does not make one that sounds more like a turbo, where only the air movement around the impeller is heard..because that is a sound I really love.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Centrifugals are more popular due to being able to bleed off the boost, and as such, control bringing the power in. You can't really control boost with a screw/roots, and as such are limited to timing and fuel curve changes.
You guys will like this, Screws are better.

Might not be easier to get down the track though.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts