Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am thinking of joining the world of pro-chargers ready for next year but which one would suit there seems a lot to pick from, i have a bbc gen5 502ci which is stock except the edelbrock rpm performa heads and FAST fuel inj, compression is 9.5.1, i am not looking to set any records and i have been told around 900 to 1000HP can easily be acheived, i had the engine on the dyno last year and it produced 550hp can i just bolt a kit on to this or do i need to look at cams and intercoolers etc etc, i really am a total numpty with this so would appreciate a few surggestions, oh nearly forgot i have a pro-street chevy pickup which is used on the street and strip Alz :confused:

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
F2 ProCharger, easy 1000hp with plenty of room to grow down the road after you blow that motor up.

Better look into the bottom end strength of that Gen V motor. I know very little about it but I thought the Gen V block was very weak. It may have junk rods and hyperucraptic pistons in it too, not sure. Do you have specifics on the internal parts?

Craig

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
The GenV were the weakest of the bunch.
I would have a lower goal witha a Gen V.
Or upgrade the bottom end, block and all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guys you prompted me to speak with a engine guy i know and he advised me to leave well alone with this 502 so thanks for the putting me in the right direction, so its back to the drawing board eh :smt089

Regards Al

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys i have now found out that i actually have a gen 6 502 block #10237300 and not a gen 5 i had already said, do any of you guys no if these blocks are ok, and can this engine be upgraded to take a pro-charger by changing the internals or putting a stroker kit using good quality parts if the original parts are not up to the job :confused:

Al

·
Registered
370 Posts
I ran 650 hp in a gen 5 bbc N/A. No problems. I now run 800+ procharged HP on a GM BBC gen 5 marine block. No problems.

·
Registered
462 Posts
f-2 w/gear drive setup

I have a f-2 w/ a gear drive setup for a big block chevy.It's 2 months old with 10-12 runs on it.The gear ratio is set up for turning the motor @ 7500.I'll sell the set up for $5500 if your interested. 443-463-0009 chris

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bbcfast1 what internals did you run in your gen 5 , and do you no if the gen 6 is a stronger engine or simular to the gen 5
Al

Crusse i may be interested but i need to feel right in my own mind that the engine is up to the job, i may contact you again in a few weeks to see if you still have it, thanks for the offer though
Al

·
Registered
4 Posts
The gen VI returned the mechanical fuel pump boss and added roller lifters, other than that it should be the same as a Gen V. As for the internals, the gen V and VI HO engines had forged pistons, rods, and cranks. Is your's stock? With the 9.5 (HO's are 8.75) compression ratio that would mean a ZZ502 (which would add shot peening to the rods)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Dang i just bought a f2 pro charger for my 502. were up grading the cam but using the stock heads. lol sounds like i better go get another loan for the motor.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have decided to sell the 502 , i have looked at several engine builders but started to favor the 540 long block stage II from scott shafiroff ultrastreet range using my throttle body and a new intake with the bungs for injectors i am told that this would suit a pro-charger. oh btw the 502 has just done its first 10 (10.89) in a 3500lb chevy pickup and now its for sale, Thanks for the contnued info guys:smt038
Alan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi i am thinking of joining the world of pro-chargers ready for next year but which one would suit there seems a lot to pick from, i have a bbc gen5 502ci which is stock except the edelbrock rpm performa heads and FAST fuel inj, compression is 9.5.1, i am not looking to set any records and i have been told around 900 to 1000HP can easily be acheived, i had the engine on the dyno last year and it produced 550hp can i just bolt a kit on to this or do i need to look at cams and intercoolers etc etc, i really am a total numpty with this so would appreciate a few surggestions, oh nearly forgot i have a pro-street chevy pickup which is used on the street and strip Alz :confused:
Ok guys, i have now placed the order with shafiroff for a new engine (long block) spec is here
4.500 x 4.250
8.5-1 w/114cc Heads
Dart Big "M" w/Splayed Nodular Caps
Standard
Callies DragonSlayer 4340
Double Keyed
Manley 4340 6.385" H-Beam w/ARP Bolts
JE Pro Series Blower Style
5115 Low Carbon Case Hardened Steel
Hell Fire® 1/16 • 1/16 • 3/16
Clevite 77 "H" Series Main & Rod

SSRE Custom Solid Roller Kit
Cloyes Billet True Roller Set
GM Performance Chrome
SFI 7" Hi-Performance
New Design Dart Pro 1 345cc
CNC Chambers
2.300" Severe Duty Stainless
1.880" Severe Duty Stainless
1.550" Enduro Roller
10° Steel
Comp Cams Magnum Pro 1.7 Roller
Comp Cams/Manley 3/8"
Cometic MLS
ARP Head Studs
Moroso High Volume w/Welded Pickup
Moroso 7 Quart Street/Strip Stroker Style
Internal
i told them of my plans to go pro-charger and i have upgraded to a ati duel key super damper on there reccommendation, so the same question has before which pro-charger do you guys think would suit this engine,again i am not after any records just a bit of a wow reaction from people would be nice
Alan

·
Registered
844 Posts
F3R-139. Any pics of the car/truck/dragster/space shuttle this will be going into? You have posted a recipe for serious power.

I am really amazed that they didn't set you up with full-tilt 1.625" roller springs for that combo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi not sure if this is going to work, but it is a 54 chevy pickup :confused:

Alan

IMG]http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr91/alzyaman/ImportedPhotos00003.jpg[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts