Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like some info on oil pumps for a ford 406 windsor which one to buy?
I'm looking at buying Melling Select Oil Pump 10833 rear pickup sump engine was making 800 plus HP now looking to step it up to a round 860 Hp whats your say on a good oil pump we turn the engine around 7900/8000rpm?

·
Registered
751 Posts
i use the melling select, works fine for me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i use the melling select, works fine for me.
thanks I have been running it but on the brakes its pulling away from the pickup, we run a stef's oil pan and now doing a few changes to it and adding some ears to the lower rear pan so it holds more in it and making the pickup base in the sump bigger will that help or will it make the oil pump work harder?
what pan r u running in your ford capri?
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stefs.com%2Fproducts%2Foilpanspg.htm&rct=j&q=stef%27s%20oil%20pans&ei=v6knTeWRB4KlcYnItKMJ&usg=AFQjCNFFEtaGrhdZkUWaHie3UbvccF6pLA&sig2=kKrswUzLHxAG1shamoxzPw&cad=rja

·
Registered
751 Posts
i run the moroso mustang pan, rear sump with front hump for the pump.

its an open pan, i run a full length windage tray and the moroso pickup.

I over fill my pan and have never had a problem, just freshened the motor now after over 250 passes. all looks good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i run the moroso mustang pan, rear sump with front hump for the pump.

its an open pan, i run a full length windage tray and the moroso pickup.

I over fill my pan and have never had a problem, just freshened the motor now after over 250 passes. all looks good.
Thanks yep that was my next step to over fill it....

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I am running titan, yes. Also ran titan's on the pro mod team I was on. Never had an oiling problem of any kind..........ever.................Even after SEVERE tire shake that was bad enough to break chassis tubing, pumps held up fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am running titan, yes. Also ran titan's on the pro mod team I was on. Never had an oiling problem of any kind..........ever.................Even after SEVERE tire shake that was bad enough to break chassis tubing, pumps held up fine.
ok which one do you run sportsman?
What power and rev's you pushing?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I'm running the sportsman version. I'll be somewhere close to 975-1000 hp on motor, over 1200 on spray. Should be in the 7500-7800 rpm range, but I'll know more once I can get it to the dyno. 600" Chevy in a dragster............

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
this is great so reading up on oil pumps, what I've had is fine for the job.
I did have very good oil psi with the M-select 10833 pump 30 on idle hot.
Full power going down the track was 78/80 on the gauge.
I didn't yet have the oil light hookup if we did maybe would of picked it up faster on the oil drop and got away with the damage, crank two rods and two pistons......I have been told the big problem was i was not pulling the chute and killing the engine to slow the car down I was hard on the brakes engine still running car was running 151 mph.....
well to add to this all I now doing so mods to the sump and will add a full Windage Tray and making the sump bigger rear pickup will post some photos up when its done.

also we are looking at moving the pickup more to the middle of the sump area of where the pickup is now, its more to the back would this change anything if we move it more to the middle remember the sump now will hold more in it with the addon ears both sides 3'' by 5'' high around the starter motor this will hold a lot more oil in the rear now hope that will fix my problem because its a killer 406 Windsor proking headed and was very happy with the power it made only got 5 meetings and about 15 pulls on the dyno where we didn't have any problems...well you get that and will learn from it a lot now.....

keep the info coming this is great for all!

·
Registered
14,751 Posts
I'd talk to the guys at Stefs...if you're over filling your pan to bandaid an oil control problem, you're costing yourself power and asking for aerated oil.
Moving the pickup may help a deceleration problem, but it sounds like you need better oil control...better baffling, or make sure your trap doors aren't sticking. Also make sure you have the maximum drain back you can have...getting as much oil back in the pan as fast as possible is key.
JMO

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'd talk to the guys at Stefs...if you're over filling your pan to bandaid an oil control problem, you're costing yourself power and asking for aerated oil.
Moving the pickup may help a deceleration problem, but it sounds like you need better oil control...better baffling, or make sure your trap doors aren't sticking. Also make sure you have the maximum drain back you can have...getting as much oil back in the pan as fast as possible is key.
JMO
Cheers Scott that will be great.
I was running just under 8L in the sump and the oil control up top was spot on just what it needed for a race engine.
When we pulled the engine down we could see the problem mains where nice just started to get grab the bearing 1 and 2 and for the Bigends 1/5 and 2/6 where it did the damage!
I will also take a photo of my sump from the top so you can see how it was before we do any changes to it!
ps the back half of the engine bearings was like new!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no room at all for a external wet sump set up?
I didn't wont to go that way when we built the engine and I really over looked what happen as my engine builder said just neutral pull chute and shut it down.....
the internal oil pump was never a problem have been using them for years on many engines......Like I said above it made killer oil pressure for my engine...It just was my driving and now i'll have to pay for it lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts