Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this location close to home so it opens up a bunch of oppotunities to get some great shots I am pretty much limited by tree coverage for the angle so am thinking about a larger lens these were taken with a Nikon 70-300mm at maximum zoom it would be cool if i could get a bigger image without having to manipulate the file so thinking about a fixed focal length what would you guys advise also any critique on the shots would be helpful as i am just getting back into it.
Thanks

http://www.glowfoto.com/users3/dnewnova/image.php?aid=110634&offset=1&iid=3410082

http://www.glowfoto.com/users3/dnewnova/image.php?iid=3410083&aid=110634&offset=0

·
photobomber
2,512 Posts
Not sure where you're located, but if you're close to a major metropolitan area, find yourself a camera shop that rents equipment and borrow a big 500mm mirror lens. Since it looks like you're shooting in full daylight, another inexpensive option would be to get yourself a teleconverter for your existing lens.

·
Registered
448 Posts
a 1.5x teleconverter will give you about a 105-450mm lens and will have less quality loss than a 2x. The teleconverter will be less expensive than a new lens, but the quality of the image does suffer. For a large lens the 500mm mirror lens is probably the most affordable, I haven't used one so I can't give an opinion about the image quality. There are several online companies that rent lenses if you wish to try before you buy. if you are ready to buy and used is ok check with www.keh.com, they have some good deals on used equipment.

Tim

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unfortunately if you really want quality photos you have only one option, the Nikon 500 f/4. This option is going to set you back over $7,000 though. It's just a sad fact of photography, if you want to go long, you are going to have to pay. A mirror lens means you will have to manual focus, ok for birds sitting in a tree, not good for them flying. The quality will also not even be close to the fixed Nikon.

Now, you could sell your Nikon stuff and switch to Canon. Why you ask? Canon's 500 f/4 is about $2500 cheaper than the Nikon lens, and they both are equal in quality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts