Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, getting ready to build myself a rear at the end of the month and want to start gathering parts. It will either be an 8.8 center section w 31 spline locker, moser axles, 4.10's, etc with my 10 bolt axle tubes welded on, backbraced, and a custom tq arm mount built.

Or, I'll be doing the same thing with a 12 bolt.

What are parts cheaper for and what will be strongest when mildly built like this?

It's in a stick car with no more than 500hp at the tire right now. Looking for 60's in the 1.5 range. I dont sidestep the clutch and shock the drive train when I launch though. I lock the line lock and put a little pressure on the drivetrain and slide the clutch out.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Either one will work fine for what you are doing. 8.8's are usually more available and cheaper to buy as far as castings go. Even a well built 8.5 10 bolt will work fine. What kind of car?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
94 Camaro. I know of an 8.5 10 bolt going 1.2-1.3 60's in a badass nova and loving it. (Ultimate346 on here) I've thought about that option too. I guess it boils down to what housing I can find the cheapest / easiest and I'll start going from there. What's a good ls unit for 8.8's or 12 bolts? I'd like to find a tru trac but they seem pricy. Will an Eaton or stock clutch type ls unit hold up to being beat on fairly well?

·
I kill parts
10,104 Posts
I'm not a fan of a 12-bolt with a tq arm in a clutch car. We've had several people locally kill them repeatedly in clutch cars, the auto cars on the other hand tend to do very well with them.

Personally, I don't change the axle tubes, just the brackets. Much less work, same end result.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts