Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
T/S 368E
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Which block & why. Bracket racing combination.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Depending on your budget, GM LT8 with mods to run LS heads and even the LT8 GM steel crank is very capable of that and above. My buddy Kurt Urban that now works for Scoggin Dickey had one at the PRI Show that was making over 2000HP with a pair of Precision 7685's. On the other end of the spectrum a Dart LS Next or LS Next 2 are the strongest on the market and have some nice features if you ever go higher than current power goals. They also offer more reliability and piece of mind when pushing an engine that hard. If you are going supercharged I would definitely recommend the LS Next 2 over the other options as the supercharger loads the engine harder than turbos will. I'm currently building a twin turbo, aluminum LS NEXT 2 engine for myself. Hope this helps.

·
T/S 368E
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depending on your budget, GM LT8 with mods to run LS heads and even the LT8 GM steel crank is very capable of that and above.
My buddy Kurt Urban that now works for Scoggin Dickey had one at the PRI Show that was making over 2000HP with a pair of Precision 7685's.
On the other end of the spectrum a Dart LS Next or LS Next 2 are the strongest on the market and have some nice features if you ever go higher than current power goals.
They also offer more reliability and piece of mind when pushing an engine that hard.
If you are going supercharged I would definitely recommend the LS Next 2 over the other options as the supercharger loads the engine harder than turbos will.
I'm currently building a twin turbo, aluminum LS NEXT 2 engine for myself. Hope this helps.

That's perfect.
I'm a 40 year chevy guy, I have no clue about LS and I want to know what is what when the builder asks what I want.

·
T/S 368E
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has one of each in stock.
I said I wanted an iron block, let me know what you have.
I’ll post when I find out.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor. Stick with your tried and true BBC. But if you insist on drinking the Kool-Aid. The Dart Next2 Iron is definitely your strongest option. I can tell you that around us. The Borowski Motors are your best option. They know how to make an LS live and will give you the best honest advise. I have never talked to so many know it all, that don't know shit so called LS people around us its ridiculous. All I'm saying is be careful on advice you get around us. People like to pump themselves up with numbers. DDR,- Dyno Drag Racers. The reason I'm telling you this is because I drank the Kool-Aid and it tastes just like any other Kool-Aid. Just more expensive. To me It was not worth changing over to LS.

After having what you have already had. Your not going to be impressed at all.

·
T/S 368E
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do yourself a huge favor. Stick with your tried and true BBC. But if you insist on drinking the Kool-Aid. The Dart Next2 Iron is definitely your strongest option. I can tell you that around us. The Borowski Motors are your best option. They know how to make an LS live and will give you the best honest advise. I have never talked to so many know it all, that don't know shit so called LS people around us its ridiculous. All I'm saying is be careful on advice you get around us. People like to pump themselves up with numbers. DDR,- Dyno Drag Racers. The reason I'm telling you this is because I drank the Kool-Aid and it tastes just like any other Kool-Aid. Just more expensive. To me It was not worth changing over to LS.

Great advice and I truly appreciate it.
I would have to add weight to be legal after just spending a bunch of money to lose weight.
we are building off a proven engine.
7.00 at Denver is exactly where I want to be here in the Midwest.
Also it all fits under my current body.
so no cutting, no filling.

When I saw that is the only reason I went for it.
I already have the money for a Sonny’s engine that I’ve wanted for years.
With iron block and steel rods this thing is actually less maintenance.
Pop the blower, send it back, put it back on and she’s ready to go.
I was not looking forward to changing rods on the big motor during the season.

Thanks again.

·
T/S 368E
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plus I have 2 more cars set up for BBC, so my existing stuff will get plenty of use.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
26,496 Posts
From the ground up it's be hard to beat a bbc with some bb3x heads an a simple single turbo deal.. something similar to Dusty's old regal setup.ran 4.20s on 275s 6yrs ago an was still a semi street deal. Now he's twin turbo LS an cruise it..

·
T/S 368E
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I definitely would never run a turbo in a dial in class.
I know it's been done, but I've only seen a turbo car win once.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I ❤ turbos but they are definitely the worst choice of power adders for bracket or index racing. 1800rwhp on a LS is easy and reliable when done correctly. Also easily done with all aluminum combo. I am building one now that will make around 3K HP set on kill. LS NEXT 2 aluminum block, HIP'd, 1/2" main/head studs, Cleveland mains, .937 Steel DLC bushing lifters, steel Jesel Rocker System, solid beam aluminum rods, .990" pins, etc. Lots of BBC size/strength parts in a light, very compact package. Not saying it's cheap but very doable.

·
T/S 368E
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The good part is I'm copying an up & running car.
I'm making some changes, MFI, iron block & steel rods, but the thing is up and running.
So every race he attends is more data for me.

It was ~$55,000 before the sexual predator ruined the country, so not sure what it will be now with the cheaper block & fuel system??

·
Registered
3,138 Posts

Borowski Motors 🤣😂 Really?
I'm still trying to figure out how a 766 fwhp na engine can barely even muster 100mph in the qrt mile.
Even called and asked & I got a whole, not a part of a story of BS. Asked why didn't they go back out for better results? Cricket's.
🤣

Here's Tim who works for Borowski and the engine i called about as a 408 owner. If that engine made 766 fwhp 👉 mines should do 800 easily 🤣

and mines won't with a solid roller and better intake & 4500 tb 😂.

Lmao.

Reactions: DualQuadDave

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
That thing won't pull a greasy string out of a cat's ass........ My little NA, pump gas, stock block gen1 383 Chevy II ran bottom 10.80's @ 126mph with 200+ less hp, all steel, full interior, thru the air cleaner and full dual exhaust thru Dynomax mufflers. On 255 MT radials, 4.10 gears and 3200 9.5" converter no less. Patriot 225cc heads and a Super Victor so it had some badass induction, LOL!! I guess sometimes you just don't get what you paid for........

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
On the day it went 10.82 / 126mph
Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Depending on your budget, GM LT8 with mods to run LS heads and even the LT8 GM steel crank is very capable of that and above. My buddy Kurt Urban that now works for Scoggin Dickey had one at the PRI Show that was making over 2000HP with a pair of Precision 7685's. On the other end of the spectrum a Dart LS Next or LS Next 2 are the strongest on the market and have some nice features if you ever go higher than current power goals. They also offer more reliability and piece of mind when pushing an engine that hard. If you are going supercharged I would definitely recommend the LS Next 2 over the other options as the supercharger loads the engine harder than turbos will. I'm currently building a twin turbo, aluminum LS NEXT 2 engine for myself. Hope this helps.
Those LT based iron blocks are stout pieces for the money! We are doing 2 of them right now for 2000+whp drag and drive events.
I think they are around 2200 from Scoggin Dickey.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts