Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together a 427 sbf with an F3R-123 on it & am wondering what cylinder heads you guys might suggest. I am leaning towrds the yates heads right now.

·
Registered
751 Posts
have you considered CHI canted valve heads. They are top stuff, esp if on a budget. If budget isnt a concern i think i would use CFE canted valve

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We run the Yates C3 on our 420" SBF with an F3R 131. Matter of fact, it's in the car in your avatar! :)
How do like that setup?? What's it run??
I also am looking at the victor glidden's. There are so many choices & I'm just trying to figure out what is working for people already.Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I like it. We've run a 4.67 @ 157 in the eighth, lifted shut it off about 800' and went 7.39 @ 158 in the quarter on that pass. It made over 2000 horsepower on the dyno, so power isn't a problem. I would recommend a Yates style head(Brodix, Blue Thunder) over the Victor's. I know several guys that run them because of class rules and the aluminum breaks down quickly on those heads. They don't tend to have as good of head gasket seal.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow 2000hp??? I was only going to try & make 1500hp. I guess that shouldn't be too hard!Well Sounds like Yates is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Blue Thunder is a first choice but BF202 is good so are the new edelbrock's the yates heads to have now are the D-3's any of those are what you want to run with an F-3. if you were running a smaller blower then a set of inline heads would work well

·
Registered
209 Posts
Blue Thunder is a first choice but BF202 is good so are the new edelbrock's the yates heads to have now are the D-3's any of those are what you want to run with an F-3. if you were running a smaller blower then a set of inline heads would work well
I agree mostly with AJ. I have personally run the Blue Thunder 4.3 heads. No complaints. I have run the BF202's, lots of issues although in fairness, they were on a Turbo car so heat was a BIG issue for these. I know guys who have run the Yates SC1's with great success (read BRIAN CARPENTER). I have also run the C3 newer castings with my Nitrous combos and current Pro-Charged combo with great success. Of all of these heads, it is my opinion that the Ford Yates head is the superior QUALITY head.

As for the Victor's, I have never run them. I only know of several friends who have and their experiences were not the best. Mainly it appeared to be due to the material the head is made from(the aluminum) breaking down quickly. It seems to me that alot of guys who run these heads are constantly selling them after so many races and buying new ones. I could be wrong, just my observation.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was told that a 427 is too small to push anything bigger than an F3r 123mm, is that true?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It really depends on what you are doing the 123 is a great 1/8 mile blower but it will make boost quicker and it will make more boost on the brake I liked the 123 but we have been running the 131 and it is fast! If you need anything from procharger let me know.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will definately let you guys know if I need anything & you may get a couple pm's as I'm puting this combo together. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What do you guys think about the SC1's From Ford Motorsports???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts