Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a blow through turbo 302 in a 98% street car. Shooting for the 500-550 rwhp range. I have been stronly suggested to run a belt drive from c&s. It is in a ford Fairmont and I will be using the stock fuel tank. The sending unit comes out of the front of the tank facing the front of the car. Trying to keep a sleeper look and not sump the tank. I have also concidered runing a aeromotive a1000. My main goal is to have a reliable car. Which fuel pump would be best route to go?

·
Registered
59 Posts
twin walbro 255s or if you can modify the tank for an intank pump, a walbro 485 single pump would be plenty for that goal... they're quiet too! you may not have to sump the tank but you will need to ensure that the fuel system can deliver what it needs under acceleration, aka hanging the pump from above all the way at the rear of the tank.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I use a racepumps with a JAZ products -12 pickup tube in the stock tank in my Blazer works great - be sure to run their regulator

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Why not. An A1000 pump is 343.99 and the Reb Belt Drive pump is 476.99 and will not tax your electrical system, quite, and gives a hughe amount of growth. I would not buy another elctric pump again.

I am not saying an electric can't work, but not the only option.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think you would be fine with a Walbro in tank.

Most of them use about 9 amps, it isn't like you are running one of the other pumps at 30 amps.

http://autoperformanceengineering.com

You might call these guys and see what fits your goals. They might even have an idea to get the pickup in the back of the tank so you don't need a sump. They have remote pickups they have to use on snow mobiles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not. An A1000 pump is 343.99 and the Reb Belt Drive pump is 476.99 and will not tax your electrical system, quite, and gives a hughe amount of growth. I would not buy another elctric pump again.

It was suggested that I would t have to sump it. Run a min of -8 but preferably -10 with return line. Once I get bugs worked out and money saved I would like to put a boss 363 short block in anx turn up boost. The guy that sells the pump claims I would not have to run a sumped tank. Just run bigger pickup lines inside tank. This is a 95% street car. Weekend cruiser. By the way it is a c&s fuel pump and reg. Says the smallest pump is like a 130gph

·
Registered
119 Posts

ive been debating this for awhile.belt drive doesnt cost much more but how are they on street driving.im building a chi headed sbf 106mm.i plan on driving it on the street 1 or 2 days a week and some true street classes(dlike drag week)will the belt drive hold up to non stop use

·
Registered
491 Posts
I drive mine on the street --- it's cheaper to carry an extra belt than an extra pump. Plus -- when you want to make 1000hp next year, you wont have to replumb the car again.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I had a belt drive pump when I ran true street at the end, and drove it to cruise nights with no problems. Bobby on here with the Gray 86 out of WI drives the shit out of his car with a belt drive pump, and I am not aware of any problems.

It will hold up if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Some of the Belt Drive guys on drag week were boiling the fuel. But that was real street driving, 1 day 100*. What do you consider street driving? I'm quite happy with my Holley 1800 2 stage pump, I'm adding a second 1 because I'm beyond the volume and dont want to find a place to mount the belt drive pump. If I go to an external oil pump I will probably piggy back a fuel pump on too.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Bailey's car ran an electric pump for the street driving. They went to a lot of trouble to not run a belt drive on the street. A single 255 pump should handle 550whp on a carb setup. PM 86lxnotch, I think he made over 600whp with a single 255.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,413 Posts
I'm running the new Holley Billet Dominator with my blowthrough carb. It has two pumps in 1 housing. I have 1 pump run constant and the other pump turns on when I arm my boost controller.

Two pumps in one housing means you don't need a spare belt or a spare pump.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm running the new Holley Billet Dominator with my blowthrough carb. It has two pumps in 1 housing. I have 1 pump run constant and the other pump turns on when I arm my boost controller.

Two pumps in one housing means you don't need a spare belt or a spare pump.

Very nice pump ....Very quiet also

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok well it sounds like belt drive it is. I just hope that it will work ok not putting a sump in the tank. I will enlarge the pickup and return lines in the sending unit. on a fairmont the pickup sticks out of the front of the tank facing the rear axle instead of coming out the top like a mustang

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts