Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which system would be best/easiest for a street 350ci Chev ?
Car is a 57 Vette with a 4 speed , is upgraded to power steering rack and disc brakes .
Owner wants a semi stock looking motor hence throttle body injection - no fuel rails .
I see the main choices being FAST , MSD , Holley or maybe Edelbrock .
Any advice would be appreciated

Tex

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
I still say Holley. Even if you want a "simple system" and start out with a Holley TBI based deal, the computer is the same for any of their systems except the Dominator. In other words, you can tune it with the "screen," or hook up your laptop / tablet. And later, if you want, you can upgrade it to MPFI

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian ,
I am a carb type guy . Yes I have worked on EFI , but not to the point of tuning the ECU
440roadrunner ,
I guess you are talking Holley Terminator ?

Tex

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like the fast system for this setup with there 8 injector thottle body and self learning it will look period correct and easy to set-up

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Brian ,
I am a carb type guy . Yes I have worked on EFI , but not to the point of tuning the ECU
440roadrunner ,
I guess you are talking Holley Terminator ?

Tex
Avenger or Terminator, only if you want "simple." They are TBI, and you can program it with whatever they call their touch screen now. But the computer is HP, so with "some changes" you can upgrade it, and even, just leave the system as is and if you feel the need, tweek it with a laptop and their software.

I really feel that Holley is the best supported, software, updates, and hardware.

My system was basically a "pieced together" Avenger. I have a used Commander 950, which I later upgraded with Holley HP harness and computer. I "could" use a touch screen programmer but don't. I have "ideas" (if I live long enough) to convert it to MPFI)

The point is the base computer and to some extent the harness is basically the same in all Holley systems except Dominator.

·
Registered
830 Posts
IMO Terminator all the way, that is what I started out with and it worked great. A very complete kit and now that it includes the 3.5" touch screen its even better.
Simple to setup and runs great.
Tom

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thanks guys for your input .
will discuss with owner . also need to work out fuel supply - tank/pump etc
I really want this to be a simple plug and play , I don't see a high HP motor in the future . But all seem to be able to run 400/450HP .Some ability to expand is always nice .

Tex

·
Bastardization Engineer
3,612 Posts
thanks guys for your input .
will discuss with owner . also need to work out fuel supply - tank/pump etc
I really want this to be a simple plug and play , I don't see a high HP motor in the future . But all seem to be able to run 400/450HP .Some ability to expand is always nice .

Tex
You will love the Holley and it provides more than enough room to grow if later on the owner wants to make big numbers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK,
going with the Terminator EFI . Shiny of course .
we have a new fuel tank set up for efi with a Walbro pump .
will just need a pressure regulator , Summit 30-65psi should be fine plus a Holley 10 micron filter
am I missing anything?
just got to ring Summit .

thanks for all the input everyone

Tex

·
Registered
830 Posts
The only thing I can add is the summit brand parts. Most of the time they are ok but I had a summit regulator with problems and also a summit line lock with problems. They gladly took care of me without any questions.
If it were me I would get a small aeromotive regulator and never look back.
Tom

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hilborn.. I have the FAST system and if you go to there site you will see the 'main man' ; Andy. He sells the product, explains the product and it is HIS car in the videos you see.
Having the product so well supported is HUGE. Your not left out to die....

My .02

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Holley! You'll love it. Follow the directions and don't get intimidated. Instead of turning mixture screws, changing jets, twistin a distributor and changing weights trying to get the ignition curve right, you're just typing on the keyboard/handheld! It's awesome. I'd run the ignition with it too. Just use a small cap hei distributor. Having the adjustability over the ignition makes it heaps better. You actually tune as you drive. Then after a while, you'll find yourself tinkering wen you have nothing else to do. Lol.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its got a big HEI at the moment . I have to fit a Powergen alt at the same time so I may have to go to a msd dist with tach drive to use the tachometer , then I can lockout the dist
Terminator is ordered should see it next week

Tex

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Aha, cable driven tach. Got ya. Might have him look into an electrical conversion for the tach. The small body HEI gm distributors are extremely reliable as long as you use a gm/AC delco module. Might need an additional MSD box to run that distributor as well. Something else to think about. Good luck. Have fun with it! Well worth it over the carb.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you don't want to add a CD ignition box and still want to control timing, you can use an 8-pin HEI module (1987-up).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
zwede ,
can you fit the 7-8 pin to the large cap hei ?
can you point in the direction for wiring set up ?

Tex

1 - 20 of 22 Posts