Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to make a switch from my C4 trans and have seen some high hp cars run an aid transmission. What is involved with changing from the c4 to the AOD and what transmission model should i be looking at?

·
Registered
754 Posts
call freddy brown on long island. Great Tranny. Running it my 69 camaro behind my small block. great tranny

·
Registered
857 Posts
Im wanting to make a switch from my C4 trans and have seen some high hp cars run an aid transmission. What is involved with changing from the c4 to the AOD and what transmission model should i be looking at?

Switching to the AOD is pretty painless. The crossmember will need to be modified slightly 1/2 inch
and moved back to accommodate the mount. Your existing driveshaft may need to be shortened.
I would recommend a manual valve body to eliminate the adjustable cable.

I am also with the FB crowd here, I run one and its been trouble free. I recommend the plastic
barrel upgrade for shipping. It's a small cost to absorb, but well worth for shipping the AOD.
They can supply it upon completion. Also the AOD gets dyno tested, that is important.

Sickfox

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have a bad ass AOD myself for FB holding up 1000-1100 hp.. I maybe selling it cause i want a power glide.its just to hard to get all that power to hook with that 2.40 first gear.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I only know of 3 guys claiming to hold great power above 900 with the AODE/E/4r...two of them are serious about it, both in the US.
Am I one of the 3? ;)

They will hold up to 1000 rwhp when built correctly. I have a Freddy Brown AODE in my Mustang that runs 8s regularly. Car weighs 3550 w/driver so it isn't easy on the tranny but it holds up well. I love the O/D on the highway.....

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I have a bad ass AOD myself for FB holding up 1000-1100 hp.. I maybe selling it cause i want a power glide.its just to hard to get all that power to hook with that 2.40 first gear.
Hmmmm. Don't know your combo but maybe you need a tighter converter to help with the power control?

I have a 2.84 first gear set and have used both 3.25 and 3.50 rear gears w/30" tall rear tire. I leave the line with 5lbs boost at 3600rpm and it goes 1.29 without trying hard. I have no problem hooking and have been 1.25 short times. The only limit seems to be that when I run 60ft times below 1.30 the car is on the edge of going on the bumper.

I've got tons of power left to leave with so I'm going to have to work on limiting my front end travel to keep the front end down. I think I can bump my 60ft times down towards 1.20 if I can keep the front end down.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hmmmm. Don't know your combo but maybe you need a tighter converter to help with the power control?

I have a 2.84 first gear set and have used both 3.25 and 3.50 rear gears w/30" tall rear tire. I leave the line with 5lbs boost at 3600rpm and it goes 1.29 without trying hard. I have no problem hooking and have been 1.25 short times. The only limit seems to be that when I run 60ft times below 1.30 the car is on the edge of going on the bumper.

I've got tons of power left to leave with so I'm going to have to work on limiting my front end travel to keep the front end down. I think I can bump my 60ft times down towards 1.20 if I can keep the front end down.

well i have a 3.73 rear gear on a 28x10.5 tire i pull 18* from 34 to try and get it to hook.I leave at 3000 rpm and i get very high 1.3 and low 1.40 60ft times.How are your 330 numbers???

also our track is maybe fair when it comes to track prep.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
well i have a 3.73 rear gear on a 28x10.5 tire i pull 18* from 34 to try and get it to hook.I leave at 3000 rpm and i get very high 1.3 and low 1.40 60ft times.How are your 330 numbers???

also our track is maybe fair when it comes to track prep.
High 3.50s to the 330, it's gone 5.44 to the 1/8th. I don't need to pull any timing. On a good track I just leave as hard as I can without going on the bumper and pour on the boost.

Are you running nitrous? I don't have any experience modulating power with nitrous.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
High 3.50s to the 330, it's gone 5.44 to the 1/8th. I don't need to pull any timing. On a good track I just leave as hard as I can without going on the bumper and pour on the boost.

Are you running nitrous? I don't have any experience modulating power with nitrous.

No nitrous its a 427w procharged F2. 65 mustang on leaf springs.. I.ve gone 5.47 in the 1/8 and 3.65 in the 330 then it just picks up and rips..You must have a sweet preped trank.. You have video of your car..Want to share anything special about your AOD..

O you must have a TURBO???

·
Registered
16,610 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
I only know of 3 guys claiming to hold great power above 900 with the AODE/E/4r...two of them are serious about it, both in the US.
Not to start a pissing match but I think theres a few more then 3 out there. A friend of mine near by that helps with my car has been low 9,s but is an 8 second car after he drove it 2 hours to Cecil on pump gas with his AOD. Old Lentech unit i believe that we actually pulled from another friends Mustang that burned to the ground on the street after it sprung a fuel leak.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Not to start a pissing match but I think theres a few more then 3 out there. A friend of mine near by that helps with my car has been low 9,s but is an 8 second car after he drove it 2 hours to Cecil on pump gas with his AOD. Old Lentech unit i believe that we actually pulled from another friends Mustang that burned to the ground on the street after it sprung a fuel leak.
I agree, there MANY players out there in the AOD world laying down some serious HP that stay off the radar. Several of them are FB customers including myself.

One thing is for sure, there aren't many builders out there that can successfully build a AOD to handle 800+ HP.

Sickfox

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a AOD/4R75 trans in my 87 Cougar that makes above 800 hp the car weights 3650 with driver and has been 1.29 60ft with [email protected] 126mph in the 1/8
Finished 3rd in the Modified class at drag week this year with a avg of 9.24 for the week.
The car has been a 8.91 in the 1/4 but the fuel pump was laying down so there should be more in it.

I have the 2.40 1st gear set with a 3.50 rear gear and 275 drag radial

Love my AOD for sure

1 - 20 of 21 Posts