Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 331 that split down the lifter galley after about 3 years running. I was curious which stock block would be the best to go with. I've been looking for the "mexican" block but haven't been able to find one so what the next best option?

·
Registered
463 Posts
You have very few stock block options, they all end up breaking. Early 289-302, mexican, late model roller. Take your pick.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont have Dart money at the moment. This motor is just a bracket motor. No spray and It wont be turned over 6600 if that high. I have a couple of 289 blocks and a roller 302 block. Which would be better.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I dont have Dart money at the moment. This motor is just a bracket motor. No spray and It wont be turned over 6600 if that high. I have a couple of 289 blocks and a roller 302 block. Which would be better.
if u want a stock block i say roller 302. with some arp main bolts or studs, or a main girdle. what times was you running and how much power were you making? or just go with a stock 351w

·
Registered
311 Posts
About 3yrs ago I found a crack that started in the #2 main of my 347 stock roller block with main studs & girdle (shifted 6300) that I would rarely shoot a 100hp on.
I would of been down a long time saving on a aftermarket block so
I looked at a 71-73 block & I couldnt see putting the money in switching to linked lifters etc for no more metal that I saw in this older block.
I went back to a stock roller block & I dont shoot it.

When I decide to buy link lifters, they will go in a aftermarket block.
I have a few pics of split 302 blocks Ive been collecting off the net LoL

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 2 393s and this 331. the 331 ran 6.71 at 3000lbs, dont know how much HP. Has steel windsor SR heads on it with a .640 lift roller. It had a main girdle. I think it would be more expensive to build a 351w than it would cost for an aftermarket block. I have a 71 and two 69 model 351w blocks in the shop right now as spares for the 393s.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Guess it depends on if you want to spend the money in a aftermarket block or
spend less money & put your parts back in a oem block or
drop in the 393 you have (6.00-6.30 potential)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Dart or early 289/302 or Boss are some options. What ever you can afford. Those 302 roller blocks are just time bombs, if you put any power to them!

·
Registered
324 Posts
A68-74 stock 302 block will easily do what you are trying to do.And don`t worry about the hyd roller stuff put a .875 based solid flat tappet cam in it and it will easily hold 500+hp and run for years with no problems. Don`t use a Mexican block as they are poured with a very poor grade of iron and are not worth a crap. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call 423/479-3232. In Liberty Dan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts