Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching Pass Time the other night, do they even care about tech? The guy with the Vette and the girl with the MR2 both ran low 13s with no helmet and tank tops on. I think the Vette even had his windows down during his pass. Does anyone even care about safety anymore? At Pinks All Out in St. Louis, I seen an older guy make a 9 second pass with an open helmet and single layer jacket. I feel if I have all my safety equipment to go 9s, everybody else should for their e.t. also.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
at my track, you don't have to wear a helmet if you are slower than 8.0 in the eighth. i ran on street tires the other night, knowing they wouldn't hook. i did not think i would go quicker than an 8.0, so i did not wear my helmet. i was right, it went 8.24 babying it off the line, and the 1/4 et was 12.66, so i think 13's are ok.

·
Chinese buffet destroyer
2,134 Posts
depends if you have a cage in the car i guess. i know if ya wack your head against a cage i think you'll get more hurt without a helmet. if ya dont have one, well i guess its better if ya get hurt, but if your anywhere over a 100 in the 1/4 i think you need a helmet forsure. 1/8th mile not so much, unless your over say 80-100 there.

·
Senior Frog
10,443 Posts
Watching Pass Time the other night, do they even care about tech? The guy with the Vette and the girl with the MR2 both ran low 13s with no helmet and tank tops on. I think the Vette even had his windows down during his pass. Does anyone even care about safety anymore? At Pinks All Out in St. Louis, I seen an older guy make a 9 second pass with an open helmet and single layer jacket. I feel if I have all my safety equipment to go 9s, everybody else should for their e.t. also.
I ran alot faster than than in shorts and a T shirt....I loved it so STFU
:butthead:

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Well then you guys should bitch about the track not the show, the track is in charge of tech!!..........
Yeah but if you're trying to guess a time and you see no cage and the guys is in shorts and a t-shirt my first thought is must slower then 11.50s. Then he cracks off a 9 second pass and you're like WTF.

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,543 Posts
I got busted with out the gear once. At the time I had a 95 Z28 that ran low 11's with the T-56 six speed. This was a car that I drove to the track. The car and I had all the safty equipment but one day I showed up real late to the track and saw my class almost done with their time trial session.

I am in shorts, t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops.

My jacket and helmet are in the car so I throw them on and strap up the belts and pull in just in time for the last pair. I figure, fuck it, who will ever know I have shorts and flip flops on.

I put her in the lights, throw it up on the two step, and dump the clutch.

The driveshaft decides to exit the car post-haste.

There I am about 60' out and I have to climb out of the car wearing my shorts and flip flops.

That's when the announcer decides he needs to make a wise ass crack about my driving suit. That was the last time I went up with out all the gear on.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am from the line of thought, if you have a $5 head, buy a $5 helmet.

Why don't people understand safety rules are established to protect participants AND spectators? Things such as lug stud length may seem trivial to some people, but when the race is put on hold because the starting line crew is dragging your car off the line with a floor jack and your brand new $250 Weld Magnum is mangled along with your freshly painted quarter panel because your tight ass didn't want to spring for a $35 set of lug studs, I don't wanna hear you bitching.

Fire jackets, safety harnesses, roll bars.... when they are required, why take a chance without them and put yourself (and others) at risk? If you have enough brains to build a quick car, you should have enough brains to race it safely.

Marshall

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I am from the line of thought, if you have a $5 head, buy a $5 helmet.

Why don't people understand safety rules are established to protect participants AND spectators? Things such as lug stud length may seem trivial to some people, but when the race is put on hold because the starting line crew is dragging your car off the line with a floor jack and your brand new $250 Weld Magnum is mangled along with your freshly painted quarter panel because your tight ass didn't want to spring for a $35 set of lug studs, I don't wanna hear you bitching.

Fire jackets, safety harnesses, roll bars.... when they are required, why take a chance without them and put yourself (and others) at risk? If you have enough brains to build a quick car, you should have enough brains to race it safely.

Marshall
yeah and seat belts go bad every two years, riiiiiiiiiiiight..............

·
Registered
380 Posts
yeah and seat belts go bad every two years, riiiiiiiiiiiight..............
This is an interesting topic as well. Recently, I had the opportunity to chat with one of the design engineers from Roush Racing. During our lengthy discussion, this exact subject came up. His suggestion was to have an independent body do a comparison between new belts and a set of 2-year old belts and determine what, if any, difference there is in stress failure between them. He and I agreed, that unless the belts were left in direct sunlight, such as an open cockpit car in Florida, there should be little difference between a 2-year old set of belts and a brand new set. Heck, the lap belts in my 40-year old car still look like new and GM never issued a statement saying they were unsafe and neither has the US DOT.

All I am saying is if you wanna play, you gotta play by the rules. Whether or not you agree with them is irrelevant.

Marshall

1 - 15 of 15 Posts