Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were looking to have a new 370-408" iron LS built for boost, where would you get it from? Looking for a reputable shop that will build a solid and reliable 1000 rwhp capable shortblock. This shop must also be stand-up In regards to ethics and provide the product in the timeframe quoted. I've recently been burned by those last two requirements. My budget is around $5500 max for the shortblock. Let's hear it!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
1000 whp is going to be a stretch on a stock crank which will be in a $5500 short block. Give Brian at LME a shout at (713) 849-4505 tell him Crusty Shane sent you.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
1000 whp is going to be a stretch on a stock crank which will be in a $5500 short block. Give Brian at LME a shout at (713) 849-4505 tell him Crusty Shane sent you.
even 1000 flywheel HP is a Stretch on a stock crank....

at $5500....anything making 1000+ HP, is a ticking Time bomb.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
thats a tall order for $5,500.....

better rethink your horsepower goals for that cheap......

maybe 1000 at the flywheel for that price......
we have less then that in the whole motor in our Notch...made 960 rwhp with a JY LY6 with a JFR cam

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I should add a bit more info.

This isn't going in a race-car. It's going in a street cruiser...drives to work, drives to the store, drives to cruise ins, but gets beat on during all of those. In all reality, it would be set to roughly 700-800 whp most of the time...I just want some cushion if I turn it up so that it doesn't scatter immediately. I wouldn't be able to stop grinning with a 1000 hp dyno sheet. Just bragging rights with my buds, not something that's getting mile raced at 1000 hp, lol.

Ok I gotta do it. Just stop by your local pull a part. Grab one of those 1300 hp 5.3s.
Been there, done that. I'm sick of swapping shortblocks. Hence my user-name. lol.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
we have less then that in the whole motor in our Notch...made 960 rwhp with a JY LY6 with a JFR cam
so you are in the low 8's in the 1/4 mile with that motor?
Track times dont lie

if not....you arent making that kind of power...you were on a happy dyno

if you are really going that fast with a junkyard motor....more props to you...but you have a motor ready to grenade at any moment

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not sure what kind of hard parts others in this thread think you need, but $5500 will put you into a nice 408. 4340 crank & H beams and a set of nice shelf Wiseco's which will handle 1000whp with ease.... 4-5 years ago you could get that for $4500 at the place I worked at.. Seems like $5200-5500 is the norm nowdays for that type of shortblock.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
so you are in the low 8's in the 1/4 mile with that motor?
Track times dont lie

if not....you arent making that kind of power...you were on a happy dyno

if you are really going that fast with a junkyard motor....more props to you...but you have a motor ready to grenade at any moment
960 on a mustang dyno thru a Th400 at 25psi

first time out on only 21.5 psi car went [email protected] with a 1.52 so yes car is making that power

Stock48 went [email protected] with a Lq4

both cars are similar weight around 3400lbs with drivers

both run his spec'd baby cams

so yes you can make it with a stock motor, And any motor can fail at any power level

ive also seen ppl go blow money on budget forged parts and cubes only to come up with same times and power as some stock motors run. Ive seen these cheaper parts fail way before the stock strong rod motors

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure what kind of hard parts others in this thread think you need, but $5500 will put you into a nice 408. 4340 crank & H beams and a set of nice shelf Wiseco's which will handle 1000whp with ease.... 4-5 years ago you could get that for $4500 at the place I worked at.. Seems like $5200-5500 is the norm nowdays for that type of shortblock.
That's kinda what i'm shooting for. Would you suggest going to the place you used to work? Have any suggestions? Feel free to PM if need be.

Ive seen these cheaper parts fail way before the stock strong rod motors
Well i've got nothing to lose (except a wad of cash...) since I bent the shit out of 4-5 rods in a 2007 LQ4 last year :rolleyes:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually called Bryan at LME yesterday. Answered the phone on the second ring....I must be conditioned by the lack of customer service at the shop I had been dealing with, because I was blown away by this. ha. Bryan seemed really knowledgable and willing to help. They're certainly at the top of my list right now, and can provide what I want within my budget, with a reasonable turn around time.

Tried calling HKE today, and the phone number on their website is disconnected?? Doesn't seem like a good omen. Anyone have a current number for them?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
That's kinda what i'm shooting for. Would you suggest going to the place you used to work? Have any suggestions? Feel free to PM if need be.

Well i've got nothing to lose (except a wad of cash...) since I bent the shit out of 4-5 rods in a 2007 LQ4 last year :rolleyes:
how was the tune up? its pretty hard to bend a strong rod unless that motor wasnt a true 07 motor

ive bent 4 weak rods but havent seen a strong rod bend, unless well over 1000 rwhp and if youre over 1000rwhp now then 5k isnt going to be enough for a stout shortblock with good parts.

rods alone for my new motor were 1400

·
A1 Phuckstick
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
I actually called Bryan at LME yesterday. Answered the phone on the second ring....I must be conditioned by the lack of customer service at the shop I had been dealing with, because I was blown away by this. ha. Bryan seemed really knowledgable and willing to help. They're certainly at the top of my list right now, and can provide what I want within my budget, with a reasonable turn around time.

Tried calling HKE today, and the phone number on their website is disconnected?? Doesn't seem like a good omen. Anyone have a current number for them?

I tried getting ahold of HKE as well. No response from email either. My money went to Bryan at LME.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts