Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find where I can download files to cnc cut engine components etc.... I can cut most everything I need. I need to find the 3d model to put in software to create toolpaths to cut components. I have been looking for a while now with no luck. Any help I would greatly apprecitate it.

·
Registered
16,398 Posts
I highly doubt anyone is going to give up their cad files so someone else can cut their own components

·
T/S 368E
30,601 Posts

I thought all you did was borrow the part you want, let the machine digitize it and start cutting??

·
Registered
851 Posts
I highly doubt anyone is going to give up their cad files so someone else can cut their own components
^^^^^^^^ THIS.

I design custom engine/car parts as a "hobby" for some custom car and engine builders. When finished, I typically provide a "dumb" file to the customer that is a mesh, or surface model that cannot be edited. I keep the original design CAD model that can be edited. Would it prevent someone from copying it, no. But, it will certainly slow them down or deter them all together.

For most of my engine projects, I have had to go through the trouble of reverse engineering what I want. Take the SBC and BBC blocks, there are no original GM CAD files for these (so I've been told by GM) because they were designed on paper and produced from "blueprints" not CAD models.

Most of what you are going to find online is garbage from a kid that is learning or just playing around. I would NOT trust any of the features/dimensions.

You will NEVER find any cylinder head port data online........EVER. There is far too much work getting the port developed, digitized/converted, and then prepared in a CAM software for a person to just throw it out there for FREE. Not to mention, not everyone uses the same CNC machine, so the approach to fixturing, machining, tool paths, etc. are going to be different for everyone.

Good luck in your adventures, but be prepared to DO the work and not just get it for free.

Cole

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Look up Fusion 360 online. It's a great 2D/3D drawing program that will create toolpaths. I'm pretty sure you can download it for free and it's a great tool to have.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,078 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=sbc+cylinder+head+cad+model

:smt102

Not so hard now is it? Seems like most places want you to upload files you've made in exchange for a free account and access to their database. Or you can just pay for an account.

Like was posted earlier, make very sure the models you download are accurate. The majority of them are only close enough to build a car around, certainly not close enough to machine parts from.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts