Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds stupid, but I've never had a "big tire" car before.

Where do you get 32 14-15 tires mounted, with inner tubes, and rim screws?

Surely you don't go to the local generic tire outlet place?

There's a Hoosier Tire distributor near me, but I don't know that they'd be happy if I showed up with a pair of Mickey Thompson's and asked if they could mount them for me. LMAO.

So in general - where do you get tires mounted?

Specifically, any recommendations in Indy/central Indiana?

Sorry this is such a basic question, but you have to start somewhere.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Do the screws yourself... make sure not to drill the holes too big! the screws thread into the rim not the tire. You should be able to find a local repair shop that can mount and balance them for you but be sure to see if they have sticky back weights instead of clip-ons... If your running tubes make sure they have plenty of them, often times it takes alot of weight opposit the valve stem.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do the screws yourself... make sure not to drill the holes too big! the screws thread into the rim not the tire. You should be able to find a local repair shop that can mount and balance them for you but be sure to see if they have sticky back weights instead of clip-ons... If your running tubes make sure they have plenty of them, often times it takes alot of weight opposit the valve stem.
I already have a set on the car, and the rims are already drilled and screwed. I just have trouble trusting the process to a bunch of guys who are used to changing Continentals on Toyota Camrys.

Should I just trust that the local tire shop can actually handle it?

·
X275!
4,937 Posts
Try your local speed shop. We mount all of the tires for Frank Hawley's school at our shop and they aren't too bad, except the Top Alky tires!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
My friend owns a tire store and he does them for me. He has special machines to do the tall, wide 24/26 tall custom wheels and it works fine with my 16X33 slicks with 15 inch wide wheels. RM

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just called the (reasonably) local speed shop.

They do it for $25 a tire. Maybe that's a little more than the next guy, but I've got more confidence in the speed shop changing tires than the local tire discounter changing them.

It just never occured to me that they would be doing their own tires.

Thanks for the tips all.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,851 Posts
You can do it yourself

I have done quite a few, getting the bead broken is the tough part. Especially if there are tubes in the tires for some reason. Take your time on the tube install. I use baby powder on the inside and fill and deflate the tube quite a few times before I use enough pressure to "pop the bead". Bubble balance is fine. I have done this between rounds at the strip. A bumper jack works for the stubborn beads, just keep working around the wheel. I agree about being nervous with the co-op student at the local tire depot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts