Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Denouned
1,238 Posts
I always hated the kids and there 57 Chevy`s so I built a 1962 Ford Galaxie 2 door hardtop, found a 312 Thunderbird Special Y block motor, Spent almost a year building the engine, TRW 12-1 Pistons Sig Erson cam, knurled valve guides, opened up the ports and polished had it blueprinted and balanced, Edlebrock manifold with a Holley double pumper Had to build the headers at the time no one made full length headers for that engine and of course glass packs Had to put lader bars on it to keep the leafs from rolling up don`t forget the red line tires and KeyStones. I could beat the stock 57 Chevy 427 transplants but if they were moded a bunch I could just keep up.

Man those were fun days street racing..
At least you didn't knurl the pistons. 😄

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
26,651 Posts
I have a Mopar with a 451 wedge, 220ish cam, good heads, EFI, 2500RPM converter and a 3.23 gear. Great car and mileage.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I always hated the kids and there 57 Chevy`s so I built a 1962 Ford Galaxie 2 door hardtop, found a 312 Thunderbird Special Y block motor, Spent almost a year building the engine, TRW 12-1 Pistons Sig Erson cam, knurled valve guides, opened up the ports and polished had it blueprinted and balanced, Edlebrock manifold with a Holley double pumper Had to build the headers at the time no one made full length headers for that engine and of course glass packs Had to put lader bars on it to keep the leafs from rolling up don`t forget the red line tires and KeyStones. I could beat the stock 57 Chevy 427 transplants but if they were moded a bunch I could just keep up.

Man those were fun days street racing..
man you must of had the 3/4 cam ??

Steve

·
Denouned
1,238 Posts
When I got the car in my avatar it had an original 73Z engine in it. I stuck it away for my street car and when I tore it apart to build it the factory forged pistons had been knurled. It's a 355 now.
When I first started working in a automotive machine shop in the late 70s we knurled a bunch of pistons. Thank God knurling pistons and guides went the way of hickies and hi button shoes.

·
Registered
842 Posts

Does anyone even remember when leaded fuel faded away???
I know for a fact it was still around in the 70's.

I remember in 1993 my uncle filling up his '66 Chrysler Newport at the one gas station in town that still had "Regular" gasoline. This was in Simi Valley, CA (SoCal LA area).

·
FHRITP
50,033 Posts
I’m not old(35)but I get tons of fun out a 5.3 swapped Sonoma. Nearly 400hp N/A, ac, cruise, radio, drives anywhere. Use the hose at the track!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
My current car.. LS turbo ;). Nothing like driving a 7 second street car around that looks, sounds, and drives like a 12 second car..

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
My first car was a '79 Pinto Cruising wagon that my brother and I built back in '89 when we were 21 years old. It had a 302/5-speed/3.55 combo in it and later on we swapped in a 351W and some N20. Due to the small engine compartment though, that car ran hot all the time and it would cook the wiring. We had a lot of problems with it and after 5 years of ownership, I blew the motor on the day that I passed papers on my house. With no money to fix it, it sat in my garage for two more years and then I sold it as a roller. We learned a lot about what to do to a car and what not to do to a car by working on that machine.

My next car would be my 1979 Mustang Cobra and it's been everything I've wanted it to be over the past 20 years of ownership. It's definitely my favorite and always fun! I take it to a lot of cruise nights, car shows, track days, etc.., and it makes 420/380 at the wheels with a naturally aspirated 347 stroker/5-speed/4.30 geared combo. It's a blast to drive and it's got a great lumpy idle at 1,000 rpms, pulls to 6,500 rpms, and cruises down the highways at 80 mph (3,000 rpms) for hours. In fact, I drive it 2-1/2 hours to New England Dragway or 3 hours to Lebanon Valley Dragway to race, then make the trek home - providing I don't break it. I do this on 93 octane and have never tried race gas. The best pass I've made is an 11.49 @ 121.

Here's a pic of the Pinto. Note that I added a '69 Cougar Eliminator Hoodscoop and a '68 Dodge Charger flip top gas cap. I owned this car from '89-'97.

Mustang - I've owned this since 2000 and it took my brother and I four years to build it. First it was powered by a 306 (307 rwhp/278 rwt) and now by a 347 (420 rwhp/380 rwt).

41 - 50 of 50 Posts