Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the advent of all this turbo ls "stuff" for streetcars, what combo in your car use to be fun? I remember my 79 Camaro 3,500lbs with a pump gas 589 and 3.55 gears. We drove that thing everywhere including to the track. Unfortunately, we were stopping at every Sunoco we passed.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Funnest street car I had was a 67 Chevelle SS. Had a 632, 13:1, was loud and fun. Took it to car shows and cruise nights quite a bit.

·
T/S 368E
28,195 Posts

A mild by todays standards, but a full race engine in those days, 13-1 SBC back when you could still get leaded fuel at the corner gas station!!!

Reactions: 1BadRail

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Chevelle with a small block 331ci, turbo 400, 4:88 rear was my daily driver for 4-5 years
Cuda with a 440-6, auto, 4:10's
Camaro 350 ci turbo 350, 3 something rear

·
T/S 368E
28,195 Posts

Does anyone even remember when leaded fuel faded away???
I know for a fact it was still around in the 70's.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Does anyone even remember when leaded fuel faded away???
I know for a fact it was still around in the 70's.
Yup, wasn't long after 78ish. I had a 65 Belvedere post with a 383 and factory spd. I filled the tank with $0.59 premium and proceeded to lock the rear end up after a burnout. Homemade slapper bars dug into the asphalt, broke off the leafs, spun around on the right front tire and splatted back down facing the other way. I saved the full tank of fuel as it was easy to move since it was laying behind the car.
My Trans Am was funner for a longer period time; 355 SBC, old style Super T10, 3:91s in an 8 3/4 rear end.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,389 Posts
Before the advent of all this turbo ls "stuff" for streetcars, what combo in your car use to be fun? I remember my 79 Camaro 3,500lbs with a pump gas 589 and 3.55 gears. We drove that thing everywhere including to the track. Unfortunately, we were stopping at every Sunoco we passed.
My current combo is about the most fun i've ever had with the car. Its a street car that has done 3 drag weeks, has run 7.99 at 173 mph and gets 14mpg towing a trailer full of parts with 4 adults in the car. No LS, but it is turbocharged.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My current combo is about the most fun i've ever had with the car. Its a street car that has done 3 drag weeks, has run 7.99 at 173 mph and gets 14mpg towing a trailer full of parts with 4 adults in the car. No LS, but it is turbocharged.

I was just going to click on the like button. But that deserves a response. (y)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I 've talked about it on the Bullitt before. My 1969 Z-28 that I put crate motor 427 L-88 in. Drove it to high school and once in awhile took it up to track and clicked off 11.80 time slips. In 1973, that was considered a FAST car . LOL. It had 4.88 gears, aluminum flywheel and Hooker Headers, You could chug along at 2 thousand RPM's in 3 gear, floor it and it was like being on ice. It just detonated those street tires. Seconds later you were trying to keep it from drifting out of your lane. Wicked as hell. That L-88 camshaft ,at 269 degrees duration @ .050, was as evil a camshaft as they made in the day. Still, no-one runs that kind of overlap. That damn thing sounded like it was gonna eat-ya when it idled... Miss that old girl, wish I still had it ….
2020-03-23 12.35.58.jpg

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I've had few fun street cars but my latest build is by far the most fun on the street and it's not even a car, It's a truck.
2000 S10 Xtreme LSA supercharged 6.0 LS9 cam and TR6060 trans. 14" brakes up front with the rest of the suspension built to handle the turns. It's fast enough to get yourself into trouble and handles very well. Idles almost like stock and the TR6060is is the best shifting trans I've ever had. I can get in it drive anywhere in the country and not worry about breaking down and it gets pretty damn good gas mileage.
I'm not even bothering with body and paint, It was built to be driven.
S10.jpg

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
I 've talked about it on the Bullitt before. My 1969 Z-28 that I put crate motor 427 L-88 in. Drove it to high school and once in awhile took it up to track and clicked off 11.80 time slips. In 1973, that was considered a FAST car . LOL. It had 4.88 gears, aluminum flywheel and Hooker Headers, You could chug along at 2 thousand RPM's in 3 gear, floor it and it was like being on ice. It just detonated those street tires. Seconds later you were trying to keep it from drifting out of your lane. Wicked as hell. That L-88 camshaft ,at 269 degrees duration @ .050, was as evil a camshaft as they made in the day. Still, no-one runs that kind of overlap. That damn thing sounded like it was gonna eat-ya when it idled... Miss that old girl, wish I still had it ….
A crate L88. OMG. I think I just climaxed. Take care. Tom Worthington

1 - 20 of 50 Posts