Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my wife a new car this week. Kids are teenagers now, so she needed a bigger car. Got a great deal on a Mitsubishi that my wife liked. Made in Japan, so it shouldn’t fall to pieces too quickly ;)

When was the last time you bought a new car?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
January of this year. 2020 Equinox. Already have a 2008 Equinox. Wife got the new one, I got the hand me down. Traded in a 2001 Volvo S40, and sold my 2000 Mustang, six cylinder.

·
Registered
27,889 Posts
2018 I bought another new dually. If I had my buddy biglar ‘s money I’d buy new every year.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2013. Probably won't ever again. Let someone else take the hit on the depreciation.
I looked at used, but there wasn’t a lot around with low mileage at the right price and we bought it through our business so there was some incentive to buy new tax wise...

·
rodent aviator
6,671 Posts
Only bought 2 new vehicles ever. First was a 1988 F150 because I was a 'successful young businessman' with a small lawn business and an AmEx gold card! That was by far the worst vehicle I ever owned, but I kept it for 9 years and put 200K miles on it. Second was a 2014 Mustang GT which I bought to replace my wrecked 2009 Bullitt Mustang. Had it for 5 years as a garage queen and traded it for my current daily, a 2016 F150.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only bought 2 new vehicles ever. First was a 1988 F150 because I was a 'successful young businessman' with a small lawn business and an AmEx gold card! That was by far the worst vehicle I ever owned, but I kept it for 9 years and put 200K miles on it. Second was a 2014 Mustang GT which I bought to replace my wrecked 2009 Bullitt Mustang. Had it for 5 years as a garage queen and traded it for my current daily, a 2016 F150.
You bought another F150 after the crappy first one? 😬

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I bought my wife this 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan with the "Black Top" package back in August of 2014. It's now six years old and we'll get another four years out of it before it'll be replaced. We keep them an average of 10-13 years before the rust takes it's toll and they have to be replaced. I don't worry about depreciation because I get every dollar out of every new buy.

·
Western North Carolina
20,324 Posts
Last one was my 2012 Silverado. Been an awesome truck but as mentioned earlier I’m not buying new again.
D2FF96A6-EB2B-459A-B1DD-885207ABB196.jpeg
71FA01DB-7304-4BA5-9967-1E9C88F253D6.jpeg

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our new car comes with a 7 year warranty.....that’s probably how long we will keep it for.

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,447 Posts
Congratulations, and good luck.

2013. Probably won't ever again. Let someone else take the hit on the depreciation.
Same.

My current 2 primary vehicles were bought new, but I don't foresee myself doing it again EXCEPT the Ford Bronco with a manual trans.
Too much $$$ lost on depreciation. Sedans esp even Japanese, took huge hits on residual value in past 3-4 years.

Picked up a spare Tahoe for wife for winter use, and I can just swap the engine as needed, or rebuild the trans for life
as long as I can keep the body solid from the Midwest salt bath every year.

I don't like the direction massive technology and spying is going so after 20 years in the tech industry,
I'm goin backwards against it all and K.I.S.S.

The more BS they put in vehicles, the more it fails and wipes out your access and costs are thru the roof.
Not to mention the more dependent drivers become on "tech" instead of using their eyes and minds.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
1978, bought my first new Chevy. Other than an '04 S10 crewcab (that I DIDN'T buy new), I don't have anything newer than 1998. I have all the parts I'll ever need. Passcodes all disabled, I can and do work on all my stuff without a bunch of electronic diagnostic B.S.
Screw the new plastic junk. None of them will ever be classic, everything looks pretty much the same now. Jelly bean cars and pickups that take a ladder to get into.
Fuck 'em.

·
Registered
671 Posts
In my 30 year marriage, we’ve only bought 2 new vehicles. Both were bought with GM card discounts way back when it was still a worthwhile reward credit card. Last was an $18,000 2012 Chevy Cruze with a $3000 CC reward. Now the big rewards only come on expensive trucks an luxury cars. I will probably never buy a new car again. I’ve lived long enough to know that a car is like a piece of toilet paper. You use it up and throw it away. Too many people think of cars as an investment without realizing they are a liability.

·
Registered
89 Posts
2015 Challenger R/T....didn't need it, just wanted it....only has 6000 miles but it is a really nice car with more options on it than I know how to operate.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts