Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a plate need to be installed under the carb? Typically it's a thin plate ........this is what I have used for years. Do to hood clearance issues, I would like to remove this "sheer plate"..... Thanks. I remember that the use of this plate is to protect the engine from any pieces falling from the internal linkage of the actual carb. WouLd there be any change in performance?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
The really thin ones aren't shear plates, they are nothing more than a safety to keep linkage parts from falling into the engine if the linkage fails. If it's a shear plate, then there is a potential of loss of performance, but it all depends on the combo and whether or not it benefited from it to begin with........Oh, and my shear plate is only 1/2" thick

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't even afford the 1/8 of an inch..... Do I need that plate? Does it serve any purpose besides this hardware protection ?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
In a pinch, take a four hole gasket and a thin piece of sheet metal. Trace the outline of the gasket on it and cut it out........It works.........On a regular dominator I wouldn't run one without a plate of some kind underneath it......While I haven't heard of anybody having linkage parts fall into the motor, why take the chance when the potential is there?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have run dominator's since the 80s.
I have never heard of with anyone I know that runs a dominator,or had the internal linkage fail.
I have never run that plate.
If your worried about it then do the 4-hole gasket idea mentioned above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts