·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do i need to replace my rod bolts? what is the discard number

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Really depends on several things, there is not cut and dry answer, what type of rods and bolts do you have , what RPM are you turning it to?
What is the cubic inch ?were the bolts measured when they were new? Nice looking car by the way

·
Registered
49,441 Posts
I pretty much toss them everytime I take them out. Rod bolts are cheap, short blocks are exspensive.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I pretty much toss them everytime I take them out. Rod bolts are cheap, short blocks are exspensive.
Me too unless it is a Carr or A1 then i will reuse if i was the one to install originally , if they are in a used rod then i change them period no matter what they are,

·
Registered
49,441 Posts
Me too unless it is a Carr or A1 then i will reuse if i was the one to install originally , if they are in a used rod then i change them period no matter what they are,
still cheaper then a short block. rod Bolts are dispoable items and I don't care what they cost.Its my policy and knock on wood I have never lost a rod on a rebuild or freshen.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,504 Posts
I replaced my Eagle H beams with L-19's last winter. I had 2 seasons on the motor.

Now, as long as were on the subject - quick question.

Is re-sizing the big end necessary whenever you replace the bolts?

Cp

·
Registered
781 Posts
I replaced my Eagle H beams with L-19's last winter. I had 2 seasons on the motor.

Now, as long as were on the subject - quick question.

Is re-sizing the big end necessary whenever you replace the bolts?

Cp
I just measured the big end with my bore guage after i replaced mine. Measured out good so I ran them.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Back to the OP. Are we talking bolts or bolts and nuts? What type of rods? cepx111 with your eagle rods I would at least have them checked. With a bolt and nut type of set up it would depend on how the new bolts were installed but should always at least have them checked. Just good practice. Like BOOSTED S.S. ELKY said change them every freshen. cost a lot less than a catastrophic explosion!LOL!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
According to Oliver .001 permanant deformation is when they should be replaced. Unless you have recorded the lengths for each bolt though that won't mean anything.

Tip, if some of the bolts look dark....it's a good time to replace them;)

·
Registered
49,441 Posts
ARP used to use 19 torquings. They picked this number because people kept asking this question.
I assume all bolts have failed. Usually becuase I am often cleaning up behind some one else who may not have used the proper tools for the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts