Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dart based 363 has around 150 runs, and maybe 400-500 street miles.
I shift it at 7,000 and go thru the traps at 7,300.

This winter I was thinking about a cam and spring upgrade as it currently has a SADI core comp street roller....and have been dwelling on the possibility of having the whole thing freshened.
I got the engine used (barely broken in), and on the build sheet it simply says "Forged crank and H beam Rods with Mahle pistons"

I don't want to waste money if it's not needed, but don't want to be foolish at the same time.

What is your opinion? What is your regimine?

·
SBF TTFMF
4,499 Posts
For something like that engine, I would just freshen it at the end of this season and update it at the same time. Better cam, more RPM, different springs etc.

After a fresh rebuild though, I would tear it down once every two years or so, while checking spring pressure/lash all season. JMO

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
For something like that engine, I would just freshen it at the end of this season and update it at the same time. Better cam, more RPM, different springs etc.

After a fresh rebuild though, I would tear it down once every two years or so, while checking spring pressure/lash all season. JMO
Yea, try and keep track of compression and leak down numbers periodically, while keeping an eye out for changes in oil pressure. Check/Change springs on occasion... on a schedule depending upon spring and application. Keep a close eye on valve lash, and check the lifters as soon as it starts to change.

This... and go by your "gut".

The end of the season is a good time to pull it and make changes... especially if it should already be about due.

Good Luck!

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,922 Posts
I make 550-600 passes between freshens. If it isn't smoking out of the valve cover, performance is about the same, oil pressure still good, then leave it alone and check lash and springs on a very regular basis. I race 1/4 mile, if I raced half-track I could go longer!

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I make 550-600 passes between freshens. If it isn't smoking out of the valve cover, performance is about the same, oil pressure still good, then leave it alone and check lash and springs on a very regular basis. I race 1/4 mile, if I raced half-track I could go longer!
I agree with this! 5-600 1/4 mile passes is a good time to take a look at things on a nice bracket piece.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I agree with everyone. Since you got it used, freshen it and be confident in what is in there. The pistons may need a flycut for ptv clearance with the new cam anyway. From then on, just monitor it and go for 100's of runs.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I agree with this! 5-600 1/4 mile passes is a good time to take a look at things on a nice bracket piece.
i'm still backwards on the quote thing but as long as the leakdown is not into the teens it's still good. mph will tell you if it's losing power. the main condition indicators are oil pressure, valvespring pressure and leakdown rate.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Lou,
Check static compression and leakdown after each race outing and test valve springs regularly. I prefer to remove the springs and check them on a Rimac-type spring tester, as this is more accurate and slight changes in spring rate can usually be detected easier. Keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge and look for problems if the gauge reading begins to fluctuate from normal in any way.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,922 Posts
i'm still backwards on the quote thing but as long as the leakdown is not into the teens it's still good. mph will tell you if it's losing power. the main condition indicators are oil pressure, valvespring pressure and leakdown rate.
Just the quote thing? ;)

FordSux:

Sorry, just had to bust your chops a bit. :)

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
When I've got a rod hanging out of the pan ! :)

I have a fairly mild build (600hp or so 7000rpm sbf) and usually make around 200 pass's a year . I used to freshen every year but everything always looked great . I would replace bearing's and ring's "just cause" I had it apart . Then I switched to every 2 year's ..... same deal , everything looked fine and I have yet to find anything that I may have prevented by tearing it apart . Now , I'm considering going to 3 year's or just leave it for that "gut" feeling on when to do it .

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
When to freshen? That depends on many variables. How much horsepower, how much RPM you turn it, how much lift is on cam, spring pressure etc. The more you have the faster it wears out.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
^^^this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts