Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ran both systems plug looked like i took it out of the box timing mark looked good and i had to drive it back to the trailer makes me think it could be a tad lean no detonation at all on plugs shouldnt i have a little bit of fuel ring or doesthis seem to perfect also how can you tell if its lean plug looked great sorry no pics it started rain had to load it what has me bothered is i shut it down got it stopped started it up and it still looked basically new only color whatsoever was you could tell i drove it back little bit of color on porcelain no fuel ring on bottom sorry so long any replies appreciated by the way it was a new set of plugs

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Agreed,

2-3 passes then you will find a hydrocarbon ring on the insulator about 1/8th to 1/4 inch in from the center electrode. The color you will see on the porcelain at the end is the low speed mark ( the one you make going back to or in and out of the trailer), you will need a plug scope to see this clearly. Another thing to look at is the color of the inside of the header where it meets the head if you are running VP its a light tan, Torco its a color like cigarette ash.

NGK plugs are easy to read and quick to color and will usually show heat on the shell (change in color) one thread is safe, the coating will bubble and cook off of the base of the plug ( like when you read an alky plug) on the other side they are not nearly as durable as other brands when you got the heat turned up.

If some of the ground straps are missing then its too lean :p

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 pass. Clean like out of the box with a touch of heat on the the strap and you are there.
well i guess i got it then put new plugs in pulled it up to the lane when i went to both systems it blew the tires off track was shitty i mean real shitty ran it for 150 ft is that enough to tell it definatly had heat in it you could plainley see the timing mark it was right above the electrode does this sound correct the reason i drove it back i figured that i hadnt held it long enough but pulled the plugs anyway and they still looked mint

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
well i guess i got it then put new plugs in pulled it up to the lane when i went to both systems it blew the tires off track was shitty i mean real shitty ran it for 150 ft is that enough to tell it definatly had heat in it you could plainley see the timing mark it was right above the electrode does this sound correct the reason i drove it back i figured that i hadnt held it long enough but pulled the plugs anyway and they still looked mint
Based off that don't go by the reading you got. Pedaling,short bursts,and driving back will most likley give you nothing to go by.

Start over and make a clean pass for at least 600 feet. Tow it back and look again. Use your best judgement. If you already see heat in the strap from that short messed up pass I would pull some timing before I made another pass.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bumping this looking for a timing suggestion if you read above what do you all think 2 or 3 more degrees if its showing heat that fast gonna run tommorow ant suggestions appreciated thanks in advance:confused:

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Whats wrong with reading the spark plugs?That should tell you what the engine wants.

Post up pics of the spark plugs and go from there if you can

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mike said if it showed heat on that short spurt then i need to take a little more timing i posted where its at it clearly showed a timing mark in that short of adistance i pulled to much once and it lit in the pipe i will read the plugs just didnt want to burn 1 off before i could :p thanks any suggestions welcome

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
mike said if it showed heat on that short spurt then i need to take a little more timing i posted where its at it clearly showed a timing mark in that short of adistance i pulled to much once and it lit in the pipe i will read the plugs just didnt want to burn 1 off before i could :p thanks any suggestions welcome
What is your combination??
ive read your posts over and over, am i missing it? what kind of engine, what kind of piston and head?
Im interested to hear what timing you should run, because ive had this problem also (Couple pops in the exh from time to time)
I have a big block chry, flat top piston, 65cc head, Im shooting a total area of a .111 nitrous jet (around 350-400hp??)
I rum on motor at 36* so with the 2 for 50 rule i should be pulling out 14 - 16* putting me at 22 to 20 , i have been pulling too much and im at 15* so i will be adding in 1* at a time now, i figure ive got a bout 5-7* that i can add back in, im pretty sure thats going to be a big gain ( a couple of tenths) when i get that timing back in. I suck at reading plugs, and ive showed mine to some top tuners and they tell me there is NO heat on my plug right now....:smt082

·
Banned
18,113 Posts
Tony, I had been having the same problem trying to read the heat in my plugs. I am using NGK -10's. After seeing what Monte Smith had to say and talking to Steve Johnson, I started taking away fuel.

I used to have misfiring problems (popping in the exhaust). Once I started taking away fuel it started running cleaner and I could see the timing mark. As I took away fuel I also took away timing. Finally, I have a great combo of nitrous, fuel, and timing on the car! It runs 100% clean. I am going just as fast on a .063N as I did on the .072N jet!

I actually have to take out more than 2 degrees per 50hp, but that's fine with me. I honestly think I need to take out some more fuel, but I am happy with the way it's running so I am going to leave it alone.

Once I have the wheelie bars on the car I will put the .072N jet back in and start tuning that size. Wanna hit the eights before the year is over!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.