Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to the site, i have awhite 84' T/A, N/A 440"SBC,th400-6000stall,12bolt 4.30,3225lb. car, i'm having the wheelie problem, can't keep car down,limiters on front end from 7" to 1", koni adj. coil-overs with Pro-Drag Kit, QA1-single adj.,ALL Spohn stuff adj. i tryed everything to keep the front-end from standing on the bumper, i was thinking about going to a glide, but i'm not turning the motor past 7500rpms, if i feather the car out past the lites, then wack-it its still leaves with a 4ft. and up wheelstand, the best as of today is a 9.38 @ 147, with a 180ft long wheelie and pedaling it, i'm just getting lost on trying things without spending money on something that does not work. any info. would be very helpful. thanks. :John Newman

·
Class Wrecker!!!
2,351 Posts
I am not familiar with the Spohn stuff. What does the car scale out like front and rear percents. How long is there torque arm and location in the tunnel?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
his web site (www.spohn.net), there very helpful, the arm is located on rear like stock and extends all the way up to the trans. crossmember where its connected to the crossmember for trans. the car scales at about 52% - front, 48% - rear, i have iron heads, thanks. John Newman.

·
Class Wrecker!!!
2,351 Posts
Hard to tell you what to do with out seeing your car and seeing your set up. But the wheelie should be able to tuned out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey John,

I've seen a few people solve this problem in a couple of ways;
Are you going through the traps near redline (no wheel size given)? If so, changing the first gear ratio will help by removing some torque at the line. Bringing the stall speed down by 1000 rpm or so may help, but it depends on your hp curve. As a last resort, taking some gear out of the rear, which would soften the torque multiplication and may actually improve you 330' (especially if you're pedaling it...)
Just putting out a few ideas to ponder.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
till this day can't get car down to make a full run, 29.5x10.5x15, th400 has 2.48, 1.48,.48, as for stall speed,its a LUPO 6000, thats what he said would work the best with my combo, foot braking, trans. braking from 4000 to 2000, even coming out on the primarys till the lights and flooring it, still stands on the bumper, for hp's about 850, torque about over 700,the rear has 4.30, if i take any more out its going to hurt in ET. thanks. John Newman.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi I also have a 1984 camaro with a bbc 454 + nos and have about 750 rear wheel hp. I am having the same problem.
I have a bmr exstream tork arm & sway bar QA1 single ajustable shocks, also A Pa front K member and lakewood 90/10 drag struts with a pa coilover kit.
I have also tryed just about every thing to keep it down. I had some one sugest the dubble ajustable shocks over the single. Do you think this would help? and if so how.
I am also atempting to lower the drive train 1'' do you think this is a step in the right direction.
I am also looking into the tork converter as a possable help.

Any sugestions would be great! thanks Mark

·
Registered
94 Posts
HI JIM
Thanks for the reply
What brand would you recomend, and I am asuming you ment struts not shocks unless you have another method for the front of theas cars. Also I have come down hard several times and bent the towers up prity well any sugestions on how to strengthen them up. thanks agen Mark

·
Class Wrecker!!!
2,351 Posts
A good frame shop should be able to take care of you. I am working on a strut & lower a-arm package for 3rd gen camaro's. Using a double adjustable GT strut from strange.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jim Filipowski said:
A good frame shop should be able to take care of you. I am working on a strut & lower a-arm package for 3rd gen camaro's. Using a double adjustable GT strut from strange.
Jim, I would be interested in this setup when you get it done. I have an AJE K-member right now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark Nealen said:
HI JIM
Thanks for the reply
What brand would you recomend, and I am asuming you ment struts not shocks unless you have another method for the front of theas cars. Also I have come down hard several times and bent the towers up prity well any sugestions on how to strengthen them up. thanks agen Mark
Try (www.spohn.net),Click on NEW PARTS, Pro Drag Front Coil over kits. that took care of my problem, and i have Koni adj. struts with comp. eng. # 2025 limiters welded to strut tower,and welded to lower control arms with no suspension movement when front wheels are jacked off the ground and struts are turned to the firmest setting. it helped some what but i need rear end suspension work, but now it was worth doing it. trust me. good luck, let me know what you think. John Newman

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi
I looked at the spohn stuff looks good I will try to make somthing similar up, And pick up some stifer struts. Thanks Mark

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
What about rear lower control arm and torque arm angles, do you see any effect on wheeile when angle is changed ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jim Filipowski said:
Jim any news on the GT strut? I hamerd my car at the last OSCA event and need some new front end parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts